New Member - 1986 Fz600 Vance & Hines

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all! New member here. Bought a 1986 Fz600 a couple months back. It's the Vance & Hines special edition. This sucker is PINK AND YELLOW. I'll post pics some time soon.
Long story short, finished rebuilding the carbs tonight. Hardest carb rebuild I ever did. Looked like the PO had been running this thing on maple syrup and pig blood! But finally got them clean and reinstalled and BAM this thing starts up after just a few chugs on the starter.
Now the starter will re-engage for some reason and whine. Very strange. Looking for help on that one as I've never owned a yamaha.

Wish me luck!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum post some pics up so we can see ur new baby and if you got a 86 v&h then WOW....thats one rare bird but i thought they only did the v&h in the 90s

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! Kind of slow getting back here...
I got the carbs back together finally and got her started before winter in Michigan. Then it was super nice for half the winter. I was kind of angry I missed all that 40 degree riding weather! ;)

I don't know how to tell if this is a real V&H bike. It has the "special edition" decals and wild paint and the pipe... K&N filters... but I just don't know.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest I don't know either lol, I thought the first ones were in the early 90's though. If I were you I would try and do so research on it because if it's the real deal, you could restore it and have a bike worth well over $5000 to the right collector, maybe even above $10000 if it's one of the first ones, but like with any rare/collectible vehicles they are only worth what someone is willing to pay, but even if it's a just a fz600 that someone made to look like one of the v&h special edition bikes it's still a sweet looking ride!!!

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
CBR, Chevy, thanks for the replies!
I'll try to make time to get some V&H info. Guess I'll start with the dealer.
I'm in SW mi CBR. Livin' the dream.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I missed your first post on this. Nice bike and great job on your carbs!

Saw in one of your posts that the starter was re engaging. Is it electrically engaging or could it be it something is hanging up the sprag clutch and it not completely disengaging.

image004.png

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
CBR, Chevy, thanks for the replies!
I'll try to make time to get some V&H info. Guess I'll start with the dealer.
I'm in SW mi CBR. Livin' the dream.

I'm from East Lansing but I live in Kalamazoo most of the year for school. Ive seen another old FZ600 in the area but I don't think he's on the forum. There are some great roads in your area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
Moto - great infographic there. I appreciate it. Seems like the sound goes away after a few minutes of running. Hopefully it will do the same this year.
CBR - I grew up in the Zoo. Totally different town now. There are some cool cats there for sure. You'll have a blast in this warm weather!

Update on the FZ - one of my coworkers used to subscribe to cycle world in the 80's and he SWEARS that there was a real V&H edition in either 86 or 87. That's exciting news!

got the bike out of storage (corner of the garage) and tried to get her started. The darn pet**** is giving me trouble now. Won't feed fuel. The bike, however, did not care and started right up on what was left in the line. :D this is a great engine. Epic.

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah - what's with that? I understand the reason to censor certain words but you'd think the whole word wouldn't be in the filter.