New Member from Connecticut

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody!

Newbie from CT here! I've been on and off bikes for a few years, spent a lot of time off and last summer decided to jump back in. Started out with a Ninja 650 - great bike to get my confidence back, but not exactly a ton of fun.

Friend was selling his low miles 2004 Fazer and it seemed like a perfect chance to upgrade on the cheap! (He got a BMW 1000R :D)

Coming from the Ninja 650, this bike is just amazing! An absolute dream in the corners, flickable and steady as a rock. The spring rates seem just about right for me and long rides are comfortable. Peaky 4 cylinder is a totally different monster so I'm getting back into that higher rpm mindset rather than the tractor torque of the parrallel twin, but I'm loving every ride!

I'm starting with 14,000 miles, a Puig windscreen, FZ1 bars, and fender eliminator/LED tail lights. I found some wiring concerns that I am addressing with a motodynamic integrated taillight, some flush mount front turn signals and an LED friendly relay on the way. Also have new grips and tank protector. Considering some rim tape, red maybe - but I'm worried it may clash a bit. Short levers are also on the way, as I generally two-finger cover them.

Is the two-tone coloring a factory deal? Or do I have a couple custom colors on here?

Here she is:
99m0TBq.jpg

Started out with a "custom" subframe that had the passenger pegs removed... My wife was not ok with that at all!
DVvsyjx.jpg

Before the swap: (Also, went ahead and did the customary maintenance in parrallel - ALL new fluids, oil filter, and a good old scrubbing. Air filter awaiting more research and new brake pads on deck when I need them)
UtanhkY.jpg

During... bit more work than I originally thought!
OJ75TF7.jpg

Back together, wife approves!
emxX20C.jpg

Now I have an extra subframe!
AqUxScv.jpg

Unfortunately she did come with a minor dent in the tank... Not terrible, but I notice it - currently exploring options for a fix/new tank... Dry ice, basketball inflated inside, lost cause? Simple tip-over on a windy day, the cover protected the paint, but it fell onto something that dinged the tank right there.
E2QIVI2.jpg

Some other small projects to address - clutch cable may need replaced, brake lever is a tad bent from the same tip as the tank dent, and I may try out a handlebar with just a tad bit of rise eventually. Looking forward to my time here and seeing you kind folks around!

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Bro Seems like you've already Familiarized yourself with the bike =P I did the same but not as far as you since you needed to replace subframe. Anyways I'm sure your going to love the bike. The Fz is my first 600+ and people complain about the front end fork dive, i've noticed it, was your 650 not as bad because you say your more stable in the corners.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
and another downunder welcome, glad your wife approves, thats the first step....happy wife, happy life ha ha ha

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard, sharp bike!

Looks like on that modded subframe they just cut the pillion mounts off. Looked really sharp with them gone and the single seat too. Great if you ride single..:thumbup:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome from another (former, and hopefully future) CT resident. :welcome:

The two-color is stock - I had exactly the same question about my (also '04) bike when I got it.
The one thing i'd recommend checking is header bearing (although you are saying it's stable, so I'm assuming it's ok) - I replaced mine with all balls.

looking sharp :thumbup:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our forum, you would buy 1" back and 1" up handlebar risers.

Also, you would mod the clutch slave lever if you're going to use shorty clutch lever.

I also recommend braided lines.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome from another (former, and hopefully future) CT resident. :welcome:

The two-color is stock - I had exactly the same question about my (also '04) bike when I got it.
The one thing i'd recommend checking is header bearing (although you are saying it's stable, so I'm assuming it's ok) - I replaced mine with all balls.

looking sharp [emoji106]
I think you meant head bearings instead of header bearings...

I'm using all balls, too. It's well made design when compared to OEM type.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. I also started with a Ninja 650. Nice bike, but I find the FZ6 sharper as well. I actually think the FZ6 is easier to learn on since its peakier power curve keeps you well out of trouble until you hit 8k RPM. With the Ninja I was off to the races right away. +1 on the new pipe recommendation. The stockers are way too quiet.

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Really nice to see an active community!

I do seem to have trouble resisting the urge to take new toys apart, very familiar with it already!

What do I need to look at regarding the TPS? I've been all over the bike and so far every bearing feels freely rotating with no lateral play whatsoever. Thanks for all the handy recommendations!

:welcome: Bro Seems like you've already Familiarized yourself with the bike =P I did the same but not as far as you since you needed to replace subframe. Anyways I'm sure your going to love the bike. The Fz is my first 600+ and people complain about the front end fork dive, i've noticed it, was your 650 not as bad because you say your more stable in the corners.

Ninja 650 comes very oversprung stock, one of the first things I did was replace fork springs/oil so I had the proper rate. Brake dive wasn't terrible, and the FZ6 is actually pretty well matched to me regarding spring rates.

Edit: Montrose! I'm originally from out that way, grew up in Cedaredge and Delta!

Last edited: