New Rider?

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All,

I may be joining your ranks as an fz6 rider this weekend. Lost my GS prematurely due to a tourist from Oklahoma and the fz6 kept popping up in my search for a new bike. Finally saw one in person tonight & I think I'm going to buy it this weekend. Only hang up (other than the fact that it was snowing) was that he couldn't get it started. It's been pretty cold up here & he hasn't been riding in a few weeks, so he's gonna put the battery on a tender & we'll try again Sat.

Anyway, I was hoping I could give you guys the details on the bike & see what you thought. Also anything I should look for that may be an issue. Any help haggling would be appreciated as well.

-
2004 with 6300 miles
He's the third owner & it was his first bike. Put about 1k on himself
Previous owners were all older gentlemen who kept track of reciepts, maintenance, etc, so I'm pretty confident in the care it's received.
Comes with original & touring windshield, tank bag, cover, brake lock, frame sliders, the tender, and I'm gonna try to get him to toss in his helmet.

Asking $2800. Thoughts?

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice buy if the starting issue is strictly battery related! You will love it. Inspect the tank for any signs of internal rust. Good luck.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
$2,800 is a good deal. Since that is his asking price you might as well try haggling a bit and get an even better deal. Did it crank over and not start or not crank over at all? If it cranked over and didn't start I'd be worried. These bikes should start up within a few seconds even after sitting for a while.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, I didn't see him try to start it. I got there and he was pretty embarrassed, as he'd just discovered it. Sounds like the previous owner left it on a tender year round. Maybe this affected its ability to hold a charge? I'll ask him about the cranking over.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$2,800 is a good deal. Since that is his asking price you might as well try haggling a bit and get an even better deal. Did it crank over and not start or not crank over at all? If it cranked over and didn't start I'd be worried. These bikes should start up within a few seconds even after sitting for a while.

+1 on the starting within a few cranks. Stored my bike all winter, stabil in the fuel and it fired up the first time I hit the switch in the spring when it got to about 30 deg. My brothers carbed bandit 600 made his wrist sore before it fired 15min later. The bikes were stored in an attached garage which is unheated but stays above freezing.

Check the date on the tires, may need new tires even if they are not worn. The week and year is stamped in the sidewall. 1804 would mean the 18th week of 2004 as being the manufacture date. General rule is 5yrs and they should be replaced.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Checked the tires real quick. Seemed OK. They were Dunlop Sportmax? Any good? I ran Sport Demons on my GS and was a big fan.

I'll check the date this weekend.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, he only had it for 1,000 miles. I don't know how much of a sweat he broke- I hear you though. I just don't think I'll have mine replaced in time.

I've heard some rumblings about the 06+ models being significantly better than the 04s. Is this true? I an 07 similarly priced, but it has 25k+ miles on it. Apparently thats the time for a valve service, which hasn't been done yet. Not sure how much something like that costs, or if I want to get involved with that though.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!
I agree with checking the fuel tank for rust etc.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard some rumblings about the 06+ models being significantly better than the 04s. Is this true? I an 07 similarly priced, but it has 25k+ miles on it. Apparently thats the time for a valve service, which hasn't been done yet. Not sure how much something like that costs, or if I want to get involved with that though.

The 06+ models aren't that much different. The engine, transmission, and suspension is the same. Only differences are 4 vs 2 piston calipers up front (The brakes on my '05 are PLENTY strong), black frame/engine, revised instrumentation and fairing (on 07 and up), black rims, etc.

I would say the newer models are not significantly better. Although the analog tach is a nice touch as the lcd one on the 04-06 models is almost useless (It does have a digital readout that I use which works well).

Most people here have not had to adjust their valves at the 25K miles interval, let alone the second adjustment interval (50K miles). Long as the 07 was maintained properly, 25K miles is not a lot. The mileage will help you get it for pretty cheap though.

Last edited:

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, someone already snagged that 07. I believe the cases are already up for sale on this very website.

I'm moving forward with the 04 tomorrow. Quick test drive to make sure everything's legit & then I should be good to go. He already knocked it down to 2700 on account of the battery. I'll see if he can go a little further, but I think I'll be happy regardless. Main debate is whether to grab his helmet at 1/2 list price. It has a washable liner....

The worst part all about this is the nice weather we're about to have. Won't be able to get plates on it til Tuesday at the earliest, and that's if things go smoothly with Progressive & the RMV.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, someone already snagged that 07. I believe the cases are already up for sale on this very website.

I'm moving forward with the 04 tomorrow. Quick test drive to make sure everything's legit & then I should be good to go. He already knocked it down to 2700 on account of the battery. I'll see if he can go a little further, but I think I'll be happy regardless. Main debate is whether to grab his helmet at 1/2 list price. It has a washable liner....

The worst part all about this is the nice weather we're about to have. Won't be able to get plates on it til Tuesday at the earliest, and that's if things go smoothly with Progressive & the RMV.

I wouldn't bother with the helmet. You can find some good closeout deals on any of the big sites (motorcycle-superstore, revzilla, sportbiketrackgear, etc.) and get a nice, clean-smelling new one. Sucks about the registration. I would hate to not be able to ride a new bike when the weather was so nice.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to you and some of the new Boston/MA members. Love my 07, can't really say if an 04 is much different. We'll need to get a Boston group ride together soon, if not next spring. (I'll ride until there is snow on the road.)

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to you and some of the new Boston/MA members. Love my 07, can't really say if an 04 is much different. We'll need to get a Boston group ride together soon, if not next spring. (I'll ride until there is snow on the road.)

Thanks! Sounds good. I'm actually shocked at the amount of MA members I'm seeing on here. Makes me feel even better about the purchase.

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey welcome man; you're going to love the Fizzer, I know I did.

And in regards to the helmet; please do get your own because
1. You don't know whether or not his helmet has been dropped or may have expired.

2. Helmets are made to protect your head and of course everyones head is a little different in shape and size so make sure you get one that fits you :p

3. and lastly, a used helmet is nasty .