New tyres

Rxticle

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got some new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tyres fitted. Still bedding in but already feel much better than the old Bridgestone Battleax's.... Anyone else riding on them?

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Fitted mine about a month ago and wow. Done about 600km now and I can’t believe I actually managed to get around on the stock Dunlop’s. BTW, tossed the Dunlop’s at 3000km

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested in knowing the wear of them, as in how long they'll last. They are a fairly soft compound from what I've read.

I put a Michelin Macadam on the rear of mine after collecting a nail in the original Dunlop, and same thing, so much more confidence in cornering after that. Still have the piece of crap Dunlop on the front, really should get that replaced... and soon.

I saw a set of Metzler(sp?) tyres online the other day (Sydney store I think), front and rear for $500, anyone ever used these tyres??? (Sorry to hijack your thread a bit)

:)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 3,000 miles on my set, and I love them. I'll be sticking with them for at least another set.

Rxticle

Reaction score
Visit site
Stumbles - when I was looking around at new tyres, a few riders suggested the Metzeler M1 but with further research and conversations, I drew the conclusion that the Michelin PPs would be a better tyre for my type of riding - mountain twisties etc.

Who knows without trying them though. What amazed me about the Michelin PPs is that with less than 50kms on them, my cornering speeds felt much higher and I felt much more secure on them. Incidentally, they cost $550 plus fitting.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive heard nothing but great things about the pilots.

Best freakin tyres EVER! stick like chewy to a blanket, in the wet & dry, and i have done 6000 km's on the rear, and it still has plenty of legal tread....and i do like to give the bike a bit of a thrash from time to time, so i am super impressed with the wear rate!

The front is fairly new, but ages better than those OEM dunlops!

Rxticle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm out to bed these new babies in on the twisties on Sunday. Might discover some new lean angles in the process! I am serious. Those battleaxes are pretty ordinary - don't let anyone tell you otherwise....

appollo

Reaction score
Visit site
got another damn nail in my tyre on the way back from pt lincoln :( unfrtunately as i was 500km from home the only option was a temporary plug so im chasing up a pilot now aswell :(

appollo

Reaction score
Visit site
wow 4 ok i dont feel so bad now, just annoying hadnt had a nail for years and get 2 in 4 weeks if i pick one up in the new tyre i think my wife will jam some nails into me lol

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great aint it !
Bloody tyre fitter missed a nail in the tyre twice ,would you believe it !
got the last flat at dusk so I camped the night and got it fixed in the morning.

appollo

Reaction score
Visit site
it is the 2Ct's that yo have not the normal Pilot Powers? just that im getting told "u dont need them theyre a track tyre" to which my response has been if they give me better grip and reasonable wear stfu and sell me what i want :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is the 2Ct's that yo have not the normal Pilot Powers? just that im getting told "u dont need them theyre a track tyre" to which my response has been if they give me better grip and reasonable wear stfu and sell me what i want :D

I'm with you Apollo, i want all the grip i can find!

The Powers are the softer of the two, and yes they are even grippier than the 2ct's, which are more of an allrounder, suspect that the 2ct's are better in the wet.

As for the powers being a track tyre, yeah, they use them on the track, cause they are the softest, which to me means why would'nt you want them for the road, it's not as if you wont be able to get them up to a decent temperature on the road.

The Powers leave nice "Blackies" out of corners, when you are really "on it", and get the back end spinning up.

Was following a mate down Delamere Road on a Z1000, and he was smoking em up bigtime...he only gets about 4000km's out of his rear tyre as a result though! (if he is lucky...but he is a nutter, great rider though!)

Rxticle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if that is right, Wolfman. If you check out the michelin website, it seems to say that the 2CTs are 20% softer on the edges than the normal pilot powers.

BTW, I've got 2CT front and normal PP rear.

After having them on for 3 weeks, I can say that they are really grippy and confidence inspiring. The only limitation on my lean angle now is my sense of mortality....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if that is right, Wolfman. If you check out the michelin website, it seems to say that the 2CTs are 20% softer on the edges than the normal pilot powers.

BTW, I've got 2CT front and normal PP rear.

After having them on for 3 weeks, I can say that they are really grippy and confidence inspiring. The only limitation on my lean angle now is my sense of mortality....

Well i dont know the figures, but the 2CT's are dual compound, harder in the centre for longer wear, and soft on the sides like a Power is allover.

As for 20% softer than a Power, that could be right, that part of the tyre gets a loss less work, so they could do it, and not affect wear rate significantly.

If that's the case makes you wonder why Michelin dont make the Power's in dual compound as well, and make them even softer on the edges!