New upper fairing on old FZ6?

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

So today I had my bike hit in the parking lot and it ended up doing a lot of damage. It broke my windscreen, upper fairing in multiple parts, brackets for the mirror and inside fairing on the left hand side. I am looking for options for replacement as this is too much for just gluing back together. I haven't had much luck finding fairings for my 2005 FZ6 but I found several for 2007 and newer. I was wondering if anyone has ever put a newer fairing on the older bike? I know I might have to do some modifications or get a few different parts but over all I was wondering if anyone had ever done this swap before. If not does anyone know of a fairing for sale off of an '04-'06? I looked through the sale section but no luck on the forum as of now.

Thanks for the suggestions

example fairing for sale: Fairing

Tallyho

Reaction score
Visit site
In the same boat as you. I've been scouring the internet for 6 months with no luck. Babbits or ayers has new replacement parts that aren't all that bad. I have about the same damage and it totals around $600. If you do find parts used they are likely to be damaged. There is the option to go naked. Kits are pretty chintzy from what ive seen though. Plus I really like the wind protection. Here is my dilemma though, the value of these bikes are so low that spending the money on them is an investment you won't get back.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATED 5-3-17

The fairing stay is different between the two bikes, your cluster will not on the S2..

You'll likely need the S2's black inner panels too.

I don't know if you might have to trim some some of the plastic or may have some gap (by the cluster)...

**BTW, that E-Bay listing in your first post DOES NOT include the "moles": parts 8 and 10 (which aren't cheap):
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W COWLING 1 Diagram

S1 fairing, look at the roundish top(where the cluster would be) :
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST COWLING 1 Diagram

Now look at the same area on an S2, it's NOT round, it's basically flat with a small "step down" to follow
the contours of the gauge cluster:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W COWLING 1 Diagram

Look just above my S2 cluster. You can see how the fairing follows the cluster:

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...I haven't had much luck finding fairings for my 2005 FZ6

The fairings are out there. Just look at the link from the previous post above. I'm not saying DON'T try to fit an S2 fairing, but you stated you couldn't even find an S1 to use. I have an '05 that I bought with a cracked main fairing 5 years ago, finally bought a replacement from Partzilla and made the swap this winter. FYI, it was beautifully packaged, arrived in perfect condition.

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had to replace most of my front fairing twice now on an S1. It's a pain. The design is bad, and the windshield on the S1s is lousy and has few to no good aftermarket options. I looked into doing the S2 fairing conversion last time, and I've heard rumors of someone on these boards doing it, but found no details and didn't want to take the risk. Things I am pretty sure about:

The mounting bracket is different and would almost certainly need replaced, as would all of the plastic bits and the gauge cluster. If you do invest in all that, I suspect it would all bolt on, but I'm not sure. There could be issues with mounting the bracket, but that should be it if the connector between the computer and gauges is the same.

The headlight assembly is identical, so as long as you didn't break any mounting pegs, you can at least re-use that.

If you decide to replace the original plastics, check ebay, but it's VERY hard to find the main cowling piece, visors or headlight assemblies that aren't damaged.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked up the S1 and S2 fairing "stay".

They are VERY DIFFERENT. If you need an S2 stay, YOUR cluster will NOT bolt on....

And as posted above, just about any tip over bends the stay. You can see it when sitting on the bike on the CC-looking forward.
It'll appear to be crooked, the gap between the tank and fairing usually closer than the other side....

IMO, when you can afford it, stick with the S1 and preferably buy new.... Your not buying someones potentially bent stay, etc...