NGK iridium spark plugs

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
I bought them at my local car dealer. It was the cheapest place here in sweden.
But they did cost about 140$...so they are quite expensive :eek:
I know that I could have bought them on ebay much cheaper but I wanted them qiuckly. I cant understand why they are so expensive here in Sweden when they are made here :Flash:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Iridium plugs on my 6R also. I check them after 10K and regap them and put another 5K. I just install a new set this week. Good for another 15K I guess...

I work few races for a Formula Mazda team (RX8 engine) We were changing plugs every other race weekend... $$$

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
What mileage should you change the plugs at 5000?

I really don know, my bike has gone 7500km and the guy that owned it before has not been drivning it for over a year so I changed oil, oilfilter and sparkplugs.
Just to making sure that everything was ok :Flash:

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use antiseize on my plugs, used it for the last set of iridiums and used it for the set i put in a couple weeks ago.

Pretty simple solution: DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THEM! All they need to be is hand tight, then 1/8th of a turn with a wrench.

I just used the 'ol torque wrench. I don't anticipate any problems...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use antiseize on my plugs, used it for the last set of iridiums and used it for the set i put in a couple weeks ago.

Pretty simple solution: DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THEM! All they need to be is hand tight, then 1/8th of a turn with a wrench.

The NGK Iridiums have a coating on the threads that don't require anti seize (I use anti seize when applicable). On their site, they mention it'll give incorrect torque values (if using a torque wrench). I put mine in dry and torqued with an inch pound torque wrench.

The plugs in the states are available at Auto Zone (they would have to order, you'd wait a couple of days for them). I bought mine on Amazon for under $30 delivered to my door...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSGWZM/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details"]Amazon.com: NGK (3521) CR9EIX IX Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]

The Yamaha owners manual calls for replacement of the stockers at 8,000 then 16,000 miles. My stock plugs at 10,000 miles were very clean but the gaps quite a bit wider than specified (wear and tear).

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I went the dummy route and did it according to the manual and removed the airbox, battery and box, and heat shield. It made changing the plugs the easiest thing in the world. Took about 2 hours including reassembly.

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
I went the dummy route and did it according to the manual and removed the airbox, battery and box, and heat shield. It made changing the plugs the easiest thing in the world. Took about 2 hours including reassembly.

Almost like me then. We should have read on forum first :BLAA:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I gotta install my dual headlight mod, so I guess I'll go the long way too. (most of it has to come off for the dual headlight mod anyway)

Any trick or tips to make it easier?

Also, seem to be getting quite different ideas as to the Iridiums longevity.

Some say good for 100000kms, some say they check and re-gap every 5000kms!

So, as an idea, can I just fit and forget for say 30000kms? (I thought that was the idea of Iridium?)

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't know if the 06 is much different than my 07, I removed both the lower and upper radiator bolts (the hoses hold the radiator pretty much in place but gives a little more room).

I had mine changed out in about 25 minutes, that's with no anti seize and squeezing an inch pound torque wrench on all 4 plugs... I stuck a piece or rubber hose on each new plug porcelain , then feed the plug into each hole and started spinning it knowing it was properly threaded. Less likely dropping the plug and screwing the gap up..

First time (and probably the only) plug change on this bike..

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
That will definitely work! Thats how I have planned it. If you buy NGK iridum you will have the best sparplugs ever.

I'm not sure you can call the NGK Iridum the the best plug ever. Thats quite a bold statement. I like the Denso Power Iridum plugs. And my buddy says the new E3's give him better mileage.

Also I hear a lot of hype about Pulstar plugs and Autolite, Bosch and others make great IR plugs.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure you can call the NGK Iridum the the best plug ever. Thats quite a bold statement. I like the Denso Power Iridum plugs. And my buddy says the new E3's give him better mileage.

Also I hear a lot of hype about Pulstar plugs and Autolite, Bosch and others make great IR plugs.

I'm a bag Bosh fan... +4!:rockon:

I heard about E3... never bother to try...

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/catalog.php

Here's the link... E3.38 seams the right one for us (FZ6 and FZ6R)

Last edited:

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com

Well, since i live in Sweden and the plugs are made here so ofcourse I think this is the best plug :BLAA:
There are a lot of plugs on the market and people like different types. The only thing I can say is that I have been using NGK in my cars for a long time and now in my bike. My brother are in to modifying cars a lot and he also use the NGK and think this is great. The denso is probably great also and I was looking into bying this instead but I did get a good price for the NGK´s.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the plugs need the terminal nut on them or is it just the threads on top?

Remove the nut, its not needed, threads ONLY... You should hear/feel it when its on fully...

A little bit of di-lectric grease on the rubber boot, where it seals with the valve cover also helps with installation and keep crap out as well...