No Country for Old Men

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I kinda liked the first three quarters of the movie. BUT I ABSOLUTLY HATED THE STUPID ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so PI$$ED after it ended I couldnt go to sleep for a coulple hours. I really wanted the killer to buy the farm. And who was the guy that plowed into him at the end???? Did he kill the wife? Whare did the money go??? I HATED IT!!!!! MAN!!!!!! Whew, I feel better now.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I kinda liked the first three quarters of the movie. BUT I ABSOLUTLY HATED THE STUPID ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so PI$$ED after it ended I couldnt go to sleep for a coulple hours. I really wanted the killer to buy the farm. And who was the guy that plowed into him at the end???? Did he kill the wife? Whare did the money go??? I HATED IT!!!!! MAN!!!!!! Whew, I feel better now.

WARNING: I WILL SPOIL IT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, SO DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T

I thought the ending was great. It wasn't about the crime or the criminals, it was about the sheriff and what he represents. But in terms of the story instead of the plot, Anton got the money and killed the wife, the car accident was a random occurance.

Anton was a man of character and he promised that he would kill the wife. Notice him checking his shoes for blood as he's exitting the house. The real question that kept running through my head was what exactly he meant when he told her "I got here the same way the coin did". Did he mean it wasn't his choice? That someone else (her husband) brought him there? Did he mean he wasn't there to decide her fate, that it was her job to do it (by calling it)? I think he was explaining himself, that he was bound to his word and had no choice in her death, her husband chose to flip the coin and he lost.

As for the money, the sheriff went back to the motel and saw the heating grate open and money gone, with a dime used to open it. Anton went back to the crime scene after the shootout (as the local cop mentioned to the sheriff) knowing that Lou-Ellen (sp?) would hide the suitcase in the heating duct as he had done before. The money was "delivered" to Anton as he said it would be just before killing Woody Harrelson. The Mexicans tracked it down, did a sloppy job killing him, didn't find the money, and left it for Anton to easily pick up after the fact.

The car accident was random, it happens. Maybe an attempt at karma? No one get's away clean? It did further prove that Anton had the money since he gave the kid a bloddy $100 bill. What do you think?

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
More spoilage... you've been warned.

WARNING: I WILL SPOIL IT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, SO DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T

I thought the ending was great. It wasn't about the crime or the criminals, it was about the sheriff and what he represents. But in terms of the story instead of the plot, Anton got the money and killed the wife, the car accident was a random occurance.

Anton was a man of character and he promised that he would kill the wife. Notice him checking his shoes for blood as he's exitting the house. The real question that kept running through my head was what exactly he meant when he told her "I got here the same way the coin did". Did he mean it wasn't his choice? That someone else (her husband) brought him there? Did he mean he wasn't there to decide her fate, that it was her job to do it (by calling it)? I think he was explaining himself, that he was bound to his word and had no choice in her death, her husband chose to flip the coin and he lost.

As for the money, the sheriff went back to the motel and saw the heating grate open and money gone, with a dime used to open it. Anton went back to the crime scene after the shootout (as the local cop mentioned to the sheriff) knowing that Lou-Ellen (sp?) would hide the suitcase in the heating duct as he had done before. The money was "delivered" to Anton as he said it would be just before killing Woody Harrelson. The Mexicans tracked it down, did a sloppy job killing him, didn't find the money, and left it for Anton to easily pick up after the fact.

The car accident was random, it happens. Maybe an attempt at karma? No one get's away clean? It did further prove that Anton had the money since he gave the kid a bloddy $100 bill. What do you think?

Butterfly wings in Malaysia...

In the beginning, Llewelyn selects a single animal from the pack. How or why does a hunter come to choose one animal from the rest, if they all present, a more or less, similar target?

Llewelyn walks to where the animal was that he's just taken a shot at. When he walks to where the animal was that he'd shot at, there is/are blood trails but they don't lead in the direction that he had anticipated. How often do we wonder about the choices make -- to turn left or right?

Chigurh's comment about the coin. Of the coins in your pocket on any given day, where have they been, have they ever been in your pocket before, will they return one day? And, indeed, in the flipping of a coin, there are two possible outcomes, neither of which we can reliably, consistently predict.

I think the film was about randomness. I think it was about our efforts as humans to impose order on the chaos that life presents. The story doesn't have a neat, discrete, clean ending because life doesn't really have a discrete, clean, simple ending. Being a good or bad person (Llewelyn vs Chigurh), old and wise or young and dumb (Tommy Lee's sheriff or his dopey, young deputy), no matter how we may try to impose order or make sense of the world, the world and life will unfold as it will -- sometimes seemingly in spite of our best efforts.

At the end of the story, we're presented with Tommy Lee's sheriff, newly retired with no clue as to what to do with himself. His time is his, he's done a lifetime of labor. And now, though old, wise, and free, he's got no clue what to do next.

I really enjoyed the film. As someone else said, Bardem's character was just so spot on, so creepy, so perfectly played that at times he made my skin crawl and at others he made me laugh -- like when he sits down in the trailer and just drinks the milk...

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice analysis, I think you have some good points there. Another piece of evidense for you is the sheriff's story about the farmer and the steer. "Even in the contest between man and steer the outcome is not certain."

A.Thomas

Reaction score
Visit site
The Coen Bros. have done it again. This time around, I would rate this movie just as good as FARGO, if not better. If you like a good story, good action, intelligent progression in a movie then you too will approve "No Country for Old Men." Bardem, who plays the professional killer/assassin does an horrifyingly realistic portrayal of a killer. There were times were I was almost too horrified to look at him (Bardem), yet I could not turn my attention away from his strong presence. This movie was so good, I ordered two of Cormac's books from Amazon, after watching the movie.

2041548002_a765f5762f.jpg

I give it :thumbup::thumbup:

Funny I watched this last night. Also watched it when it was released. Yes it is a great movie.