noise after airbox mod

sad1975

Reaction score
Visit site
i did the airbox mod on my 08 fz6. now under hard excelleration it makes a little rattel sound for a secound. what could this be ???

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's telling you to put it back to the original set up...check all the screws, air filter alignment etc. good luck...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Does this mod add to anything? The airbox is well hidden so unless you added a "ram air duct" I can't really see the point?
The regular airbox hole isn't exactly on the small side or?
The main reason for me was to get rid of the whine intake-noise (which it did). It also made the whole intake/output system louder as a result.

I'm sure it allows more air into the system and more top-end power etc etc, but that wasn't why I did it as it was just to remove the whine for me! :BLAA:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i made the hole bigger in the airbox

I would tear it back down to where you had it, and make sure everything is back where its supposed to go and tightened back down properly. It also might be possible that since you no longer hear the intake whine, its allowing you to hear other noises? I would also try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from if you haven't already. Just a few ideas for ya :)

When I was doing my Dual Headlight mod, I was looking at the intake of the airbox and though it was kinda small myself, and also found it interesting how it was tucked in under the tank. Wonder if there is enough room to make some ducting to help ram some cooler fresher air in there?

S

Shamus McFeeley

Wonder if there is enough room to make some ducting to help ram some cooler fresher air in there?

Whatever ram effect would be lost with every bend you had to put in the ducting to make it work. I don't know for sure, but that orifice probably flows some serious cfm already. Everyone kind of mistakes what ram air is/does (I only grasp the highlights myself) and as a result end up making holes in things for little to no gain.

I agree though that removing the intake whine is a definite benefit.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
The main reason for me was to get rid of the whine intake-noise (which it did). It also made the whole intake/output system louder as a result.

I'm sure it allows more air into the system and more top-end power etc etc, but that wasn't why I did it as it was just to remove the whine for me! :BLAA:

Make the whole intake/output system louder? Could you describe how the intake sounds compared to before? Is it just a deeper sound than before - only louder?
Recently heard that adding top-end power often take some HP from the mid-revs where most of riding is done!?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever ram effect would be lost with every bend you had to put in the ducting to make it work. I don't know for sure, but that orifice probably flows some serious cfm already. Everyone kind of mistakes what ram air is/does (I only grasp the highlights myself) and as a result end up making holes in things for little to no gain.

I agree though that removing the intake whine is a definite benefit.
I always wonder about RAM air and how they actually measure the benefit of it! It won't work on a dyno (or they can simulate it with fans), so how can it be measured as helping! I always thought it would make the system run more lean the faster you went. Surely there is a limit to how much fuel the EFI can squirt in to mix with the masses of air!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I always wonder about RAM air and how they actually measure the benefit of it! It won't work on a dyno (or they can simulate it with fans), so how can it be measured as helping! I always thought it would make the system run more lean the faster you went. Surely there is a limit to how much fuel the EFI can squirt in to mix with the masses of air!

Of course it might be a bit overhyped this RAM air thingy... But I'd guess that the effect with RAM air intake on the über superbikes (factory stock RAM) could be measured in a wind-tunnel just like minor tweaks with aerodynamics and so on.
Your right it has to be limited... even on a Hayabusa or the newer BMW 1000R (if they have RAM)!?