NooB Guide for NooBs by a NooB for you NooBs

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the title didnt give it away....I'm a NooB. This is a collection of experiences and advice I have to fellow noobs after my first 6,000km.

Im writing this as I think you will find it very helpful. Someone did it for me and it saved my life many times over and is continuing to do so every time I head out.

Ive spent a lot of time and effort trying to learn about safe motorcycling proactively. Rather than invest the same amount of time I did in scouring internet forums, reading books and articles about motorcycling, and just trying stupid things on the road, I think you will appreciate a cross-section of the most important things I’ve learnt up until now. I am still learning though as are we all.

The most important thing is attitude, I’ve found. This is especially true for me personally because I’m an unsafe person by nature, I do crazy and risky things. So for me, drilling a proper attitude into my head has saved my life I HAVE NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT. That’s because I’ve already had some close calls and that’s IN SPITE of my drilling into my own head a proactively safe attitude on AND off the road.

On the road having a safe attitude is straightforward enough so I wont bother explaining what I mean. Off the road, it becomes a little more muddled. For me, primarily, it is research. When I get home from a ride I pick a handful of areas or situations in which I was unclear of what was EXACTLY the right course of action. I post on internet forums in the form of questions and after reading the many responses I get, learn quite a few new things every single day. People that have been riding for 30 years learn something new and extremely helpful very often every day they ride. So for us beginners, even after you have spent maybe 5k km or 2 years on a bike (or less at this point) I have found it EXTREMELY helpful to proactively learn and ALWAYS keep a humble attitude about your own skills and abilities. Things I have proactively asked questions about have saved my *** later that week. It is seriously amazing how many things factor into safe motorcycling. The course you took was great, I took something similar, but it is an introduction, not an indepth look at everything.

Real world lessons:

These are things Ive learnt (some of them from you internet peoplez ) when out on the roads and while at home. Some were extremely close calls that could have ended badly, some were me actually falling, some were things I learnt from my proactive approach which helped me out tremendously in real world Edmonton driving. It is a summary of the most important things I learned but isn’t everything. Ill post some helpful links at the end of this eventually. In the meantime remember im a noob. This is my take on my first 6,000km and the things that helped me out personally more than anything else and lessons i learned. The most helpful things will be different for every noob and I might be a touch inaccurate in some places.

1) Dangers in corners:

-When beginning a corner, take a late-apex approach to the corner. What that means is when you are approaching the corner, try to delay your beginning the actual turn as late as possible. You’re line of travel should take you to the outside of your lane on approach. But contrary to the line a racer takes to a corner, you delay entry into the corner as long as it is safe to do so, and then you enter the corner. This gives you maximum visibility of debris in the corner, potholes, tar-snakes (road repair patches), traffic in blind corners, spilled oil near intersections, things that fall off the back of trucks, anything and everything. This picture shows you what Im talking about:

the green line is the optimal racing line on a racetrack. Dark blue is the worst way to enter a corner on the racetrack or on the roads. And light blue is THE LATE APEX approach Im talking about. That’s the one you want.

2) Use of brakes:

- You have 3 forms of braking in your bike. Front brake, rear brake, engine brake (dropping your gear and letting off clutch to use the transmission to slow the bike). Each have their uses. And Im not even gonna pretend to be able to give you proper advice here. Use the internet to learn from people that have been riding for 30 years. In a nut shell these are the WORST case scenarios I experienced PERSONALLY so it’s a place to start.
- Inadvertant engine braking in mid-corner: sometimes you have to slow down mid-corner. You can do this safely with the front brake if you use it properly. The danger I experienced was after having slowed down you will now be in too high of a gear to re-accelerate and avoid the dangers behind you (as traffic is now bearing in on your *** from behind). You will need to downshift and then resume acceleration while still in midcorner. This happened to me on groat road in the middle of a traffic ball at normal traffic speeds. Lesson to be learnt is know your gears, know your speeds in diff gears and which rpm works best for diff speeds in diff gears, and feather the clutch gently if you are even slightly unsure. I dropped into first gear from second after having decelerated when the person in front of me braked for no reason. Then mid-corner I had a car bearing down on me from behind. I had to accelerate now but since I was in second gear I wouldn’t have gotten any power at the speed I was at. So I dropped into first and in my rush to accelerate again I let off the clutch too quickly and my revs were too low. My bike pitched forward and I was lucky not to lock the rear tire. What happens when you do that is your rear tire is moving SLOWER than your front tire and wants to slide outwards. If it slides out too far (mine didn’t slide that far but if it had slid any further I would have been in trouble) then your bike will highside. And highsiding on groat road with its blind corners could very well mean game-over.

3) Rear-tire slipping out mid-corner:

- This happens when you hit a patch of oil, or tar snakes (those tar strips they use to repair bits of road), or small patches of gravel, or patches of ice from dew on the road, or a puddle of water that makes you hydroplane a little bit, or anything else that would make your tire slip out but only momentarily. What your instincts will be telling you is let off the throttle a little bit, or brake just a little bit, or stand the bike up a little bit. ALL of those are the worst thing you could do there. The best thing to do is not fight the bike. Loosen your arms, hold your throttle steady, hold your line (unless there’s more hazards ahead of you obviously), and let the bike bring itself back on line (don’t stand it up too quickly). When your rear tire is slipping out a little but is going to come back on line, if you let off the throttle or straighten the bike too quickly, or even brake a touch (with any of the 3 types of braking) you will be very likely to highside. How that happens is when your rear tire goes from slipping out to being brought back on line too quickly and it snaps back the other way, then back the other way, and then back again (sometimes it only snaps back once, sometimes it snaps back and forth a few times, but the end result is always the same….you go flying over the top of the bike as the bike snaps sideways….you “highside”). Also, tightening your arms or grip will increase the likelihood of a highside in this scenario. Loosening my arms while this was happening may well have been what saved me from highsiding that day.

4) Loosen arms let bike work for you:

-a BIG noob tendancy is to tighten your grip on the handles or stiffen your arms, especially in emergency or poor-traction or unstable moments….that is the worst thing you can do in those situations because your rider input is fighting the bikes natural tendencies. I was doing this ALL of my first 1,000km in those unstable moments even though I was ACTIVELY trying to loosen my grip/arms. It is a natural bodily reflex which is BAD for motorcycling. Here’s a good way I found to look at the situation. If you’re going 150km/hr….and you TRY to make the bike crash on its side……you can’t. It is rock solid stable because the sheer speed it is travelling at is the root of its vertical stability. The centrifugal force of the tires spinning is where a motorcycles stability comes from. Work WITH it not AGAINST it. In a lot of scenarios (pretty much all scenarios) you need to loosen your grip, and your arms and rely on appropriate rider inputs of handle bar turning, leaning, braking, etc etc. That works WITH the bike and not AGAINST it. It is easy to say, hard to do because your natural responses act against what the motorcycle wants to do. In number (3) above I loosened my arms and increased throttle. That’s what brought the bike back on line and the rear tire back where it was supposed to be. IF I had just increased throttle and tightened my arms (As my natural instincts were telling me to do) I would have highsided because I would have pointed the bike where it didn’t want to go. Loosening my arms is what let it follow its natural stable course of travel as dictated by the force of the tires spinning keeping the bike upright (basic force acting on a bike keepin it upright).

5) Natural instincts are bad

- In a surprising amount of scenarios, your natural instincts are the worst thing you can do in that given situation. From letting off the throttle when hit by a big gust of wind on the highway, to standing the bike up too quickly when your footpeg scrapes the ground in the middle of a corner, to tensing up on the handlebars….natural bodily responses are among the worst things you can do when confronted with different situations. The only way to counter them is, according to what people have told me, time and experience. It happens gradually over 30-40 years of motorcycling, and even then you need to practice it. Learn about everything that can happen and the appropriate response to it. That way when it happens you have something to fall back on. That way when something happens you aren’t being governed by your natural responses….you are applying a response as a thought-out effective solution to the trouble you find yourself in.

6) Wind on highways

-first time I got hit by a big gust of wind on the highway scared the **** out of me. I let off the throttle abruptly and the bike went flying to the other side of the lane and I almost crashed (natural response of slowing on throttle almost caused a crash). Proper response: hold your throttle or increase it (you want the bikes natural stability at speed to work for you) and lean INTO the wind to hold a straight line.

Continued in next post....

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
7) Front brake on gravel:

-This is what caused my crash. I was riding at night and in the middle of an intersection I saw a patch of gravel too late to correct around it. I braked with my front brake coming into it in mid-lean and I lowsided (front end washed out).

8. Don’t make assumptions:

-when you think you have learnt something on your own, it is best to double check with someone with countless years of experience that the lesson you think you learnt is in fact the right one. Quite a few times I thought I learnt something, then asked someone, and found what I thought I had learnt was a common misconception among noobs

9) Whats a noob?

-anyone with under 3 years riding experience and under 30,000km.

10) Motorcycles as the devil part of your conscience:

-motorcycles have a way of making you think you are a better rider than you really are until you find yourself in a situation where its too late and you find you don’t have the skills to back you up to get you out of an emergency situation. You’re fine….until you find you need to react to get out of a split-second emergency situation….and the panic sets in…..dont think you are a good rider. Everytime I started to think that in my first 6,000 km I almost ****ed myself. Once I almost crashed on that same blind corners road called groat road cuz i was pushing too much. overshooting corners and such is another big portion of noobie crashes. Be humble…it will save your ***.

11) Traffic:

-this is a big one and way too long and complex (and beyond my ability to give you anything resembling good advice) so you need to learn it on your own by reading books and things on the internet. Big ones are intersections though. Always slow down. And the most important thing I learned is ALWAYS ASSUME EVERYONE WILL DO THE WORST POSSIBLE THING AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME!!!!! If you cant react and avoid properly to ANY CONCEIVABLE move by another driver (or debris in corners or whatever) then you are riding unsafely. Keep your fingers poised on your front brake when riding in traffic you will find it helps IMMENSELY when you actually need to use it to have your fingers already on the lever. Even riding at 50kph can be EXTREMELY unsafe. Not because you are going too fast, but because your lane position and position relative to your surroundings and traffic wont allow you enough time and distance to react to some given danger. By contrast going 40kmph over the limit can be safe (100 in a 60 zone)....obviously not recommended by I'm just trying to get my point across that if you can see and account for every worst case scenario you will encounter in the next 10 seconds of riding then you are riding safe enough (in my humble opinion). That is all just an example but I hope it illustrates this point.
-Also, watch other drivers in their mirrors to make sure they can see you and position yourself accordingly (but assume they wont as per the assumption theyll do worst possible thing at worst possible time)

Well those are the big ones for me. Those are for me personally. Top things that saved my *** in my first 6,000km (which is around where im at right now). Youre top things will be different. But I hope I have conveyed to you the importance of proactively trying to learn on AND OFF the road. Knowledge is power.

I am a noob like you. My older cousin sat me down one day for 7 hours and drilled into me his 8 years of motorcycle stories and experiences. Among them were a major accident he had which almost amputated his leg…ALMOST…as close as you can possibly get to having to amputate a leg without having to do so. He is 80% fine now but will never be 100%. But his push to get me to do what ive been doing to try to be as safe as possible HAS saved my life.

Sobering statistic:

There are millions of motorcyclists across north America. Many millions of them have been riding for over 5 years, over 10 years, over 20 years, etc. A TINY MINORITY of motorcyclists have less than 6 months experience. But near 50% of FATAL collisions involve riders with less than 6 months experience……THAT IS EXTREMELY DISPROPORTIONATE!!! Also, a majority of accidents which include non-fatal lone vehicle or multi vehicle as well as the fatal involve motorcyclists with between 1 year and 3 years experience. That means your liklihood of having an accident actually increase after your first year of riding...NOT DECREASE. But your liklihood of a fatal collision is highest in your first 6 months. Why is that the case for first 6 months? It’s a complex answer I’m sure, but my understanding of it is when youre a noob you don’t know what you don’t know….until its too late and you find yourself unable to cope with a situation you find yourself in. Why is that the case for between 1-3 years experience? You think you are a better rider than you actually are. Once again emergency situations are your undoing here. Foresight will save your life…and it takes the form of both learning proactively off the bike, and foresight on the road. Just because other people around you are casual doesn’t mean you should be. If people you know who ride are casual about their riding, that shouldn’t translate into you being casual. Only you can save your own life.

All that aside, I know I may come off as a freak for safety and all that, and so much so you might wonder wow does he even have fun riding or is he just tripping balls all day? I love it immensely, I try to push myself to be a better rider. I push the envelope as much as possible. But I try to do so safely, or as safely as possible anyway.

All that aside. you're in for a real treat...motorcycles are too amazing for words. Hope you have a long riding career that extends well into your 90's....

Happy riding brothers and sisters...

:cheer::noworries::sinister::canada: :canada::sinister::noworries::cheer:

Last edited:

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Grate one thanks! I'm a noob too. After getting off my bike i spend time thinking about situations happened while i was riding and i'm trying to find if my reaction was good or how should it be. I spend many time reading and asking how should i act on this situation or this one or that one and i'm trying to remember all i learned about riding every time i get on my bike. There is no perfect rider. Everybody learns everyday he rides. One of the worst thinks when riding is the overconfidence and that's a think most noobies have. Thanks again man. Ride a lot and be safe out there all of you. :thumbup:

Deano

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers Bro. You've highlighted some of the Noob moments shared by many of us Noobs. Thanks for taking the time to post. We all need to Read and Practice as much as we are able.
Cheers KiwiDean:thumbup:

lewis6681

Reaction score
Visit site
"And the most important thing I learned is ALWAYS ASSUME EVERYONE WILL DO THE WORST POSSIBLE THING AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME!"

- This is great advice! Staying humble about your own skill level is good too!!
Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.