Oil light On

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I'm a potential FZ6 rider. I'm currently looking to purchase a 2007 FZ6. The seller(a close acquaintance) graciously let me take it out for some miles. I got on the freeway and everything was great. When I got up to the posted 70 MPH limit, the red oil light came on after about 2 minutes. I pulled off and when I was at slower speeds the light turned off. Got back on freeway and up to 70 same thing. Light came on. I slowed down to off ramp, light went off. I then check oil level and for leaks etc. The only thing that seemed "off" was the oil level was maybe a bit high. But, not outrageous. I was about 50 miles from home at this point, so I took back roads and never went above 65 MPH. The light never came on.

Back story on the seller. He has not been riding due to injury. but, he has started it up faithfully every month but that's really it. He admitted that the oil and filter are two years old. So, I will be starting with that.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone encountered this issue?

2. With the oil slightly high, could fuel be getting into the oil? If so, how is it getting in? I'm used to carbs, is this possible with F.I.

Thank you for the help. I'm really interested in this bike and hope that this is minor.

deuce

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The oil light isn’t a level indicator, it’s a low pressure warning. It could be one of several minor issues, or a major issue. Also, oil pressure isn’t speed related, it’s rpm related. See if you can recreate the issue while holding steady rpm above 5,000 rpm.

The potential minor issues could be a poor connection at the sensor, a failing sensor, a clogged oil filter or contaminated oil. The potential major issue is a failing oil pump.

Starting a bike and not riding it like your friend has done is not good for the engine as it introduces moisture into the oil because the transmission never heats up. I would do a simple oil and filter change and see if the problem goes away.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ does NOT have an oil PRESSURE SWITCH.

It does have an oil LEVEL switch

(part #10):

If your oil level was low, it should come on.

The switch simply bolts into the oil pan (header, as I re-call has to be removed for access).

Oil pressure can be checked MANUALLY, with the proper tools.

Might want to either help change out that switch and/ or test the oil pressure.

For the ride you did, (speed/miles) I suspect if you had no/super low oil pressure,
you'd been pushing the bike home...

From the Yamaha owners manual and Partzilla:

Capture 1.JPG

Capture.JPG

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the reply. I did an oil and filter change for the seller. I also added a couple oz of seafoam(right or wrong) to the crankcase prior to the oil change and rode for 25 miles. Post oil change, I rode the bike back to the owner and tried to replicate the issue. I got rpms up above 6k and the light did not come on. So, I'm hoping that was it. But, I will be checking into the sensor as well.

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The oil light isn’t a level indicator, it’s a low pressure warning. It could be one of several minor issues, or a major issue. Also, oil pressure isn’t speed related, it’s rpm related. See if you can recreate the issue while holding steady rpm above 5,000 rpm.

The potential minor issues could be a poor connection at the sensor, a failing sensor, a clogged oil filter or contaminated oil. The potential major issue is a failing oil pump.

Starting a bike and not riding it like your friend has done is not good for the engine as it introduces moisture into the oil because the transmission never heats up. I would do a simple oil and filter change and see if the problem goes away.

I don't blame you for thinking its a pressure light, 99% of the time that is true. But everyone thinks its a level light on cars when its actually pressure. When the pressure light comes on its much much more serious than the level light. The level is just a warning its getting low but at least its still maintaining oil pressure. Once the pressure goes you're done for. :):):):)

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Deuce,

Sorry for chiming in late.

In all the technical discussion about the sensor, and possible causes, I didn't notice any mention of the unusual method for checking the oil level on the FZ6. For every other bike I've ever checked, you put the bike straight up, wipe the dipstick and then re-insert it. But for this bike, you just sit the dipstick on top of the threads. I had the intermittent light issue, upon revving the engine for more than a few seconds, a few months after the first time I changed the oil. When I filled it to the proper level the light went away. I suspect that the fresh oil did better at getting back to the reservoir. Or maybe the level dropped from "barely sufficient" to "lights on".

If you've already thought about this - please accept my apologies for being captain obvious. :)

Chris Shoop

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chris for the input. I've made a verbal commitment to buy a 07 fz6. So, all the info and little things like checking the oil are very helpful. I changed the oil and filter as it was 2 years over due according to the seller. So far so good. Can't wait until spring already. This is a great forum!!

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Beating this dead horse! Went through May and June with fall oil and oil light comes on at high mph(above 65). Light goes off at low speeds(30-40). I finally do late June fresh oil and filter and go almost 3 weeks of no light. My reflecting thinks that my previous oil change, I may have added too much oil. (Liters instead of quarts maybe).

I've searched through the threads and seems that too much oil is a theme for oil changes. Does the oil level sensor detect too much oil? Also, do you check the oil on center stand or side stand? Do you change the oil on center stand or side stand? The threads seem to indicate that not enough oil is drained during oil change.

Thanks for any feedback. Trying to eliminate any last variables before purchasing a new sensor. waaaaah!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Beating this dead horse! Went through May and June with fall oil and oil light comes on at high mph(above 65). Light goes off at low speeds(30-40). I finally do late June fresh oil and filter and go almost 3 weeks of no light. My reflecting thinks that my previous oil change, I may have added too much oil. (Liters instead of quarts maybe).

I've searched through the threads and seems that too much oil is a theme for oil changes. Does the oil level sensor detect too much oil? The sensor only detects LOW oil level.

Also, do you check the oil on center stand or side stand? Center stand.

Do you change the oil on center stand or side stand? The center stand is fine. ** I personally, after the CC, do set the bike on the side stand and get MAYBE 1/2 cup more out.

The threads seem to indicate that not enough oil is drained during oil change. Just that 1/2 cup, not a biggon...

Thanks for any feedback. Trying to eliminate any last variables before purchasing a new sensor. waaaaah!

See bolded above ^^^

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also check voltage at higher rpm. If voltages are above 14 vdc you may have another problem. There is the possibility it was overfilled with oil but why only at high speed/higher rpm did the light come on?
Is it cruel to beat a dead horse if it's already dead?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a technical question: If our bikes could travel at the speed of light, Would the headlights work?

(stolen from Steven Wright)

Last edited: