Oil overfill?

millsd44

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Firstly, sorry for the noob question.

I think I've overfilled when changing the oil. When on the side stand, it's about 3mm over the top of the hatch area on the dipstick. I actually used about 3.4litres when changing it as I read the wrong figure - that's for a dry engine!

Didn't change the filter, just oil.

I've ridden about 50 miles since. Is this bad? What's the best way to take out some without draining completely?

Cheers all

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
You should have put 2.4lt oil without oil filter change. 3.4lt is way too much.
It may harm the engine. Oil level should not exceed mid of the crank according to link below:

Oil and Engines 4

You can use drain plug to take some of the oil or you can use a vacuum pump via top of the engine oil filler plug.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should have put 2.4lt oil without oil filter change. 3.4lt is way too much.
It may harm the engine. Oil level should not exceed mid of the crank according to link below:

Oil and Engines 4

You can use drain plug to take some of the oil or you can use a vacuum pump via top of the engine oil filler plug.

Some insert a hand soap pump into the filler check hole and just pump it out. Results will vary but a big syringe and hose would work too.

Another option is to remove the filter and drain it couple times. Longer and messy but controlled. hint; its not like pulling the drain plug and its not directly connected to the sump. The engine has to run to get oil there.

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the hand soap pump. Just insert the tube (rinsed of course) in the filler hole and pump out what you don't need. Keep on hand in tool chest for next time. Works good to install the tube into a length of clear gas line hose to extend its reach for those hard to get to applications (coolant overflow tank). :thumbup: