Painting headers. Advisable?

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got some high heat ceramic paint from auto zone. $8 or so a can. Be careful removing the header studs. Only had them painted for a few months. But looks good so far.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not painted the header on the FZ6 but I have tried painiting headers on a car (and exh manifolds for that matter) and never had much luck getting the finish to stay nice.

I did take my header off this past weekend and clean it up with great success thanks to a mix of info from threads on here.

I did 320 wet sand paper first to get rid of the nasty stuff, then 1000, then 1500. Then I polished 2X with metal polish and they look better than new.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2000 degree high temp powder coating. Here's the FZ1 headers all done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
powder coating looks so amazing but i think it will cost too much. i dont have the equipment and those that do will charge a bit for it methinks.

ceramic paint sounds like a great alternative!!

sonic

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my SV frame powder coated and it was only $150, which included TONS of masking/attention to detail to avoid boogering races. You would be suprised at how cheaply you could get them powder/ceramic coated. Paint will ultimately need to be redone.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I painted mine in the winter time, check in my pictures section near my signature. I painted the headers and the engine :)

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
black headers are soo sexy!

I'd love to see my black bike with black headers but powder-coating sounds expensive.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pay someone to ceramic coatthe pipes Lone, it wont cost much, will look better, and will be easy to keep clean....if you clean them regularly...any finish will deteriorate quickly without some form of regular cleaning....the longer the road grime stays on, the harder it is to get off any finish....

the $8 cans of ceramic paint option doesnt sound bad....then chuck em in the oven for a couple hours after...and bake that stuff on!

:thumbup: