Painting Question...

crowdaoc

Reaction score
Visit site
So was wondering if these parts could be painted, and if anyone has done so already? What would need High temp paint, etc? Would I need to clear coat it? I was thinking of blacking out the part of fairing labeled 6 to cover up previous owners damage... Anyone??? I think my bike would look pretty sick if I could black all of that out, comments/critiques?

I agree that powdercoating would be a better option, but it is in fact VERY expensive.

My bike has the forks painted, as well as the exhaust cover and radiator guards.

No Idea what is on the forks, but I used Duplicolor Wheel coating from Autozone on my covers, and it worked great- It is designed for high durability and heat. However, I would suggest using Bulldog, or another type of ADHESION PROMOTER so that it doesn't flake off. This is what is used on plastic car bumpers before paint is applied, and any body shop will have it, I believe autozone has a similar product as well.

As far as Exhaust goes, you can use Duplicolor Engine paint, there are two types, one for like 500 degrees and one for over 1000, get the higher rated stuff, it works great.

Your pegs and other stuff would be fine with either of the above paints on them, as the high heat paint works wonders on low temp projects as well. Just make sure to get a high quality Clear coat to go over top, and rough the surfaces up with scotch brite before painting. I'd also clean them well with wax and grease remover (also found anywhere paint is sold)

I went with graphite gray wheel coating on my bike because it was all painted black before I got the bike and I hated it. Here is my bike with the things painted

fpx380.jpg

GOOD LUCK....

You can try high temp paint and then cure it in the over. It dries rock solid and should last miles and miles. You may need to repaint every 2-3 years depending on wear. I'm going to try it on mine later.

powdercoating is super cheap, cheaper than paint. if you're going to bake high temp paint just get a little powder coating kit yourself, you would be using your oven either way. around my parts you can get a whole set of rims done for $100.

I've personally painted 1, 3 and 5. On the exhaust cover I just used about 3 coats of Krylon Fusion - no sanding or priming, just cleaned the cover with alcohol and went to town. On the rearset inlays and the radiator covers I lightly sanded, primed then did 3 coats of regular krylon and a few coats of clear, the rearset inserts look just like the day I painted them even though my boots rub up against that area a lot, I've been thinking about painting the entire rearsets the same way since it's held up so well.

the headers should be done with a product similar to jet-coat. I would also powder coat the rearsets. I used Krylon rust tough for my rad. guards, passenger footpegs, and exhaust cover.....see my gallery for pics.

also, somone did a nice write up on painting forks either here or sbn :don'tknow:

I just had most of what you're considering having done. Here's my thread with the finished product.

I'd recommend the r6 fork mod -- you'll kill two birds with one stone: black forks and improved ride.

I didn't paint any part of the fairing, but I had done the radiator covers with just a rattle can prior to this work. I may go ahead and have them powder coated, too, just so that they match the rest of the stuff I just had done.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18019-r6-forks-powdercoating-done.html

Back