Painting the rear wheel hugger? Possible?

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
The rear wheel hugger is pretty much one ugly piece of crude plastic. Not very pleasing to watch, and with a good potensial for improvement. Cutting/shaping the fender is one option, but the plastic itself is still rather ugly.

Has anyone tried to paint the hugger, either using the bike's main color scheme, or just adding a clear coat to make it a little more shiny? Is it just a stupid idea, with an even uglier hugger with flaking paint as a result?

Any suggestions are welcome! :thumbup:

cdnSTIG

Reaction score
Visit site
i just ordered a carbon fiber tire hugger from ebay. it was 150 shipped. the matte finish on the stock hugger was really hard for me to keep clean. I was thinking of painting the stock hugger but I didnt want to find paint with flex agent in it and finding a colour that was a perfect mactch might have been a problem.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Very possible and doable. Having cut mine, I can say that the plastic it is made out of doesn't flex very much at all (very firm). You wont need a flex agent. I say go for it!

Someone on here had painted their hugger a nice silver with rattle cans. Looked good. Whatever paint you use, don't forget to clear coat it!!! They now have automotive clearcoat in rattle cans which makes life much easier!!

Here is a basic guide to painting parts that might come in handy: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/16967-how-paint-basic-guide.html

Wolfman also painted his satin black: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/30894-painted-my-hugger.html

28011d1274346049-painted-my-hugger-p1040232-crop.jpg

Sirisaac got his professionally painted at a shop:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6130-painted-rear-hugger.html

5198d1214853238-painted-rear-hugger-fz6-1.jpg

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Sirisaac got his professionally painted at a shop

Yeah, but I could never get past the slight color mismatch...pi$$ed me off every time I looked at it. So it came off last year and now sits in my basement. I should probably see if anyone who is not quite as much of a perfectionist would want it.

If you're going to paint it, I'd recommend the rattle-can route using paint from autozone, not the expensive colorrite stuff. The duplicolor "Electric Currant (sic) Red" is supposed to be a good match. I got some to paint my radiator shrouds with, but have not used it yet.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my rear hugger painted , that was nearly 3 years ago & its still looks as good today :thumbup: I know this coz I saw my old FZ6 just the other day & its the hugger that sets her apart from the rest :D

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my rear hugger painted , that was nearly 3 years ago & its still looks as good today :thumbup: I know this coz I saw my old FZ6 just the other day & its the hugger that sets her apart from the rest :D

Nice to know that the paint sticks. :D But why did you decide on a blue hugger when the rest of the bike is Super Speedy Silver? :confused:

I have the same silver color scheme, but for my hugger I was thinking of either satin or glossy black, or just a few coats of clear topcoat to make the hugger shine a little...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to know that the paint sticks. :D But why did you decide on a blue hugger when the rest of the bike is Super Speedy Silver? :confused:

I have the same silver color scheme, but for my hugger I was thinking of either satin or glossy black, or just a few coats of clear topcoat to make the hugger shine a little...

The blue went with my helmet, tank pad & at the time the truck I was driving... That blue together with the oodles of polished alloy/chrome on the truck looks AWESOME :thumbup:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
See my avatar - previous owner painted everything Yamaha blue, including the hugger. Love it! Great condition still and it's an '05.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can always get a new hugger, in very sexy Carbon Fibre...there are plenty of the them on E-Bay, and they start at about $100 AU...

:thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought mine from yamaha for 175 euro! not cheap of course but its the exact colour of the bike and its shorter and looks sportier than stock