Picked up my *new* 2008 this weekend

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
Special thanks to Dennis in NH and FZ1inNH for taking special care of this bike. I picked it up this weekend from MOMSouth. It was in beautiful condition, though it will need a new pair of shoes sooner rather than later.

I put about 200 miles on it and got home to the garage to realize that I have dirtied my pretty machine. Already bird sh*t in the mirror and tons of bugs all over. I am going to have to keep soapy water in my garage for regular cleanings. Do you all use any special cleaning products?

Also been trolling through the past two years on this forum. Thanks all for all the goodies!

-Fran

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, congrats on the new bike. You will enjoy it -- got the centerstand technique down yet :D?

For bugs, just get a damp cloth and soak them; wait few minutes and then come back with a rinsed cloth and wipe them off easily. You can then follow up with your favorite Quick Detailer product -- I use Meguiar's.

Hey not bad on the miles. Should be a great week this week.

Enjoy the ride and stay safe -- don't forget to hook up the heated jacket controller due to the chilly temps lately.

Dennis

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Fran! Glad to know she's still in the "neighborhood" and in a good home! We'll all have to hook up for a ride this summer. :D My old 2005 bike is also just outside of Boston with another member. Pondrat. :D He's quite busy lately with his new child though!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
A dirty bike is a happy bike.
Do not use dish or other houshold soap as it will strip the wax. Use only soap for automobiles etc, +1 pre soak and ++1 Meguiars!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! Ride safe and enjoy! Our bikes are obviously bug magnets!
(Maybe daily sprints in the 120 - 140 mph range somehow influences this? : )
I keep a container of Armor All premoistened wips in the garage. They are great for rubbing clean the fairing, headlights, windshield, and my faceshield without scratching!
Good luck!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

if your bike gets dirty it means you use it

Well, mine is VERY used then. :D I don't have a lot of time to wash it. This time of year, it's a battle to keep it clean anyway. Rains too often, mud season, farmers dropping mud on the back roads from the tractors, etc....

Hose off what you can, keep her lubed, oiled and greased and ride ride ride!

reaper1984

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, congrats on the new bike. You will enjoy it -- got the centerstand technique down yet :D?

For bugs, just get a damp cloth and soak them; wait few minutes and then come back with a rinsed cloth and wipe them off easily. You can then follow up with your favorite Quick Detailer product -- I use Meguiar's.

Hey not bad on the miles. Should be a great week this week.

Enjoy the ride and stay safe -- don't forget to hook up the heated jacket controller due to the chilly temps lately.

Dennis

I just picked up my 2008 FZ6 a couple weeks ago and I still don't know how to use the center stand. Every time I try I almost drop the thing on the right side... not cool!

Any help?

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up my 2008 FZ6 a couple weeks ago and I still don't know how to use the center stand. Every time I try I almost drop the thing on the right side... not cool!

Any help?

It is somewhat difficult to explain and there are many ways, but here is a method that does not require you to be superman:
1) Make sure you are on hard level surface.
2) Get on the left side of your bike. Grab back grab bar with your right hand and steering bar with your left hand. (DO NOT LIFT UP SIDE STAND, LEAVE IT DOWN).
2) Stand on the center stand push down with your right foot (facing towards the front of the bike) until at least left side of the center stand makes contact with the ground.
3) While keeping pressure on the center stand with your foot (so left side is always touching the ground), start the lift the bike towards other direction until both sides of the center stand makes contact with the ground. Don't worry, as long as you keep pressure on the center stand with your feet, bike will not tip over the other side, but, you will feel that both sides of the stand touch the ground.
4) Once both sides of the center stand are firmly touching the ground, Step on the center stand with pretty much all your weight, lift up a back of the bike (just a little) while balancing and pulling the bike back with steering bar (again just a little). Bike will go onto center stand from your weight pushing down on the center stand, rest is just helping out little and keeping the bike stable.
5) That should get the bike on the center stand. Once the bike is on the centerstand, you can lift up the side stand.
6) Now that you got it up there, do you know how to put it down? ;)

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
you know how motorcycles are... you hear all kinds of things...

but i've heard that you shouldn't use windex or other window cleaners on the windshield of a bike. i've heard that it makes the shield hard and brittle and therefore easier to crack and shatter if something were to hit it.

but you know... you hear all kinds of things.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bugs.... Hot water soaked cloth for about 20 minutes laying over it. No need for chemicals. Finish off with some of this:

p84826z.jpg

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
It is somewhat difficult to explain and there are many ways, but here is a method that does not require you to be superman:
1) Make sure you are on hard level surface.
2) Get on the left side of your bike. Grab back grab bar with your right hand and steering bar with your left hand. (DO NOT LIFT UP SIDE STAND, LEAVE IT DOWN).
2) Stand on the center stand push down with your right foot (facing towards the front of the bike) until at least left side of the center stand makes contact with the ground.
3) While keeping pressure on the center stand with your foot (so left side is always touching the ground), start the lift the bike towards other direction until both sides of the center stand makes contact with the ground. Don't worry, as long as you keep pressure on the center stand with your feet, bike will not tip over the other side, but, you will feel that both sides of the stand touch the ground.
4) Once both sides of the center stand are firmly touching the ground, Step on the center stand with pretty much all your weight, lift up a back of the bike (just a little) while balancing and pulling the bike back with steering bar (again just a little). Bike will go onto center stand from your weight pushing down on the center stand, rest is just helping out little and keeping the bike stable.
5) That should get the bike on the center stand. Once the bike is on the centerstand, you can lift up the side stand.
6) Now that you got it up there, do you know how to put it down? ;)

If you still need more information check these:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/9040-center-stand-technique.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/790-hiya-center-stand-help.html

you can actually see some videos.

I hope it helps

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally charged my digital camera and went for a ride. This was in Harvard, MA. My 2008 Cobalt Blue Yamaha FZ6. Further mods on the way...

zmlij8

Was also my first time riding 2 up with the FZ6. Two things that I will change for the future: new seat and a comm system. It was quite stable while riding, still had plenty for me on the throttle. Shifting was a bit different, but it was on rails while hitting some twisties. It was her first time riding, so I had her watch a video and we took it easy. I am proud of her- we made 80 miles and she had fun.

She did say that she would benefit from better visibility ahead of us. It looks like aftermarket seats are lower for the primary and higher for the secondary, allowing for better vis from the back... is this right?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh. Looks good Dr.Moby. I tell ya, looking at a photo of what used to be my bike sure looks different. It looks good -- I never noticed how nice it looks without those decals on the front fairing.

Two up sounds fun. That Hyper Pro rear shock helps in the two up mode. I never did two up on the bike. I read that the passenger should "peek" out the side to see what's happening up front but I've seen several sport bikes where the passenger was up over the rider quite a bit.

Glad you're enjoying it -- let's hope for a nice dry Spring/Summer.

Dennis

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
Well,

I am finished with a bunch of the changes that I wanted to make to the FZ6. I still want to swap up for SS brake lines, but this is what I have done lately:

SpeedoDRD for the 15T front that the PO installed

TS seat

Fieldsheer Contour saddle bags

ProGrip gel grips

Wider heated vest

12V outlet to the battery tender

Dunlop Roadsmart front and rear

LED license plate light

GPS mount

Removed the rim stripes- this took about 2 hrs of careful work with a hair dryer and a wooden pick. I will likely not put new ones on (though I would love to match to the stitching in the TS seat and the grips) because it was such a pain to remove.

As I move through the bike, I appreciate the work and care that the POs did. The airbox mod, dual head light mod, 15T sprocket, hyperlink rear, fish eyes, Puig screen, decal removal, power coating, FE are great additions.

Enjoy the view

DrM

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. Great choice on the tires -- the Road Smarts treated me very well too esp. in the 2 months of rain we had last Summer. After 7K miles on them, the tread still looks good -- I still have them and will probably run them this Winter.

Your speedo fixer (I assume that's what SpeedoDRD is) makes sense as that 15T really throws the speedo off quite a bit.

I had similar bags and seat before selling it. Are your bags waterproof. That's the only downside to mine (Nelson Rigg); but I still have and use them.

Looks like you're having some fun with the bike.

Dennis