Please help!!! No speedo backlight!?

Newbiedude

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello! About six months ago I got an 09 FZ6 out of a salvage yard and started to rebuild it. The speedometer that came on it was totally trashed. I went ahead and got one off of eBay and it works fine, but there is no back light does anybody know what wire would control the back light or what would cause the back light to go out? majority of my riding is at night and I can’t see any info. Please help, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
does anybody know what wire would control the back light or what would cause the back light to go out?

Failure. Lights fail.

Unfortunately the lighting is integrated into the instrument cluster. On page 8-40 of the FSM it says to "Replace the meter assembly" if the unit doesn't light.

If you are skilled with soldiering you should be able to identify the light(s) and replace it. It could be as simple as a burned trace that needs to be jumped.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a separate wire (red with a yellow tracer) that feeds the instrument cluster on the S2 series (your instrument cluster)FZ6. The S1 series instrument cluster was fed internally. There is a red with white tracer wire that is the same as the red with yellow tracer. Test the red with yellow tracer wire at the plug. It should show nominal +12 vdc. That +12 vdc is tied to the red with white tracer wire. If you don't have the voltage at the red with yellow wire pin and you have voltage at the red with white wire, you can make a jumper between them and your cluster lights should work if the lights and internal circuit path are good.

Last edited:

Newbiedude

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, thank y’all much! I will take the meter apart and take a look to make sure everything is in order then I will check the wires. Whoever had it before chopped the wire harness up to do a street fighter conversion and it had been hell trying to fix it.