Plug check

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Curious if bike is running too lean and risking problems. I've had minor bubbling or popping on decel (with Scorpions), bluing on the headers, and seems to be running hotter on engine temp. But then again, when you start looking for symptoms...:)

So I pulled #4 and #3 plugs to check as a quick diagnosis before looking into PC/Dyno. What do you guys think on the plugs? To me, they seem actually "normal", but I am by no means an expert. And I don't know if that chalky powder is anti-seize on there or what. Thoughts?

Scorp

Last edited:
N

Naykid

No need to pull the plugs. When the headers are BLUE and it pops on decell.....can there be any question that it's lean?

It HAS to be lean if you never remapped it.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They have exactly 4k miles on them.

I guess a better question than running lean would w does it look like it's bad enough that I shouldn't ride until I get a pc and remap it?

Scorpio

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
from the pictures you've posted, all looks fine. if you are worried, Then change the plugs for new ones and after a couple of days check them. if they looks similar to when you put them in....everythings probably fine.White is lean,light brown normal and Black (sooty) is rich.Spark plugs tell you alot about your engine.

the popping is just a bit of misfiring , its when the fuel isnt ignited in the cylinder, instead its pushed though the exhaust and ignited there. nothing to worry about!

116966d1223649221-spark-plug-condition-reference-pics-scan10001_edited.jpg

See also this guide: (Excellent site,worth book marking)

Last edited: