POLL: Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

• NEVER - I stay in my lane and wait for passing zones

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • YES - to pass ONLY (assuming it's clear/clean/no driveways etc.)

Votes: 171 47.6%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex WHEN CLEAR

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex RECKLESSLY

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • YES - By accident when blowing turns

Votes: 25 7.0%
  • OTHER - please explain

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters

Abschatten

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a new rider(Two years now so not all that new) and I always wait for a passing zone before i pass. I've been riding a lot with my dad this summer and he's been riding for 40+ years now and waits for a passing lane.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
i pass every chance i get... as long as it is a safe instance to pass or leap frog traffic... i cant stand slow car drivers... the lines are there for cars not motorcycles... ive even done this infront of local police and they just waved me by... it really is not that big of a deal unless you do it in an unsafe manner...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a new rider(Two years now so not all that new) and I always wait for a passing zone before i pass. I've been riding a lot with my dad this summer and he's been riding for 40+ years now and waits for a passing lane.

Illinois does not count as all the roads are completely straight; there is zero benefit to passing. Please retract your vote. :Flip:

Vertigo

Reaction score
Visit site
On a curvy road, never, it's just too risky for me to want to try it. However, if it's a beautiful day outside and a car is driving 10 under the limit, I will not hesitate to pass them on a straight.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally I would not do this, but on a recent overnight trip we did have to do it a couple of times to pass tourbusses that had pulled onto the road and took forever to get going. No biggie, the road was clear for miles.

What really bugs me if when cagers pull over to let you by when there is a double yellow...THEN PULL BACK INTO YOU!! I had a fart-head pulling a camper do this to me, just as a car was coming the other direction. I swear there wasn't more than 6 feet between them with me in the middle. Scary.

:spank:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I have run over it occassionally as I think anyone who picks up the pace will but it's not something I'm proud of. And the few times it has happened I spend time evaluating what I did wrong and how I can avoid it.

I typically only pass cars aggressively when traffic is low. Usually medium to faster paced rides go out early on a Saturday or Sunday morning. On these rides I am comfortable passing cars in some tight areas but never ever would consider it on a blind turn, school zone, "down town" area, etc.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is how some riders in Northern California feel about the same topic:

Do you pass on a DY? - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

I have run over it occassionally as I think anyone who picks up the pace will but it's not something I'm proud of. And the few times it has happened I spend time evaluating what I did wrong and how I can avoid it.

Good that you take this seriously. It's just about the most dangerous thing you can do on a motorcycle...for you and the rider coming the other way.

Here is a recent vid of a n00b squid taking out another rider:

Oh sh!t! (Moto Head on crash vid 7/23/11) - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is how some riders in Northern California feel about the same topic:

Do you pass on a DY? - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Good that you take this seriously. It's just about the most dangerous thing you can do on a motorcycle...for you and the rider coming the other way.

Here is a recent vid of a n00b squid taking out another rider:

Oh sh!t! (Moto Head on crash vid 7/23/11) - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Yup, I've run over a few feet but NOTHING even close to that. That video shows someone who is riding to catch up with his buddies. Slow in the corners and sling shotting on the straights.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the soundtrack that Wilson used for his video. But it would have even been a better video if it was female rider.

I think that it should be a law that any vehicle who has traffic behind them on a two lane highway must use the first available turnout. This would eliminate a lot of the double yellow passing.

Most driver's in California are very good in using the turnouts, letting motorcyclist continue on at a faster pace. That's why I like riding in California so much. They actually acknowledge motorcyclist, not all but a heck of a lot more than any other states I have ridden in.
In the country where I live there is lots of slow moving traffic. We don't really have a shoulder to pull into its usually about a 2 - 3 foot divide separated by a yellow line.
90% of the drivers will try to pull into it to allow quicker moving traffic to pass. Cars and bikes alike.
Nelly

D

Dave.TX

I won't pass in a passing zone unless I can see through or over the vehicle ahead of me. If it's a big truck and creating a blind spot then I don't pass. If it's a double yellow, the only time I would is to avoid a wreck or other hazard as long as it's clear for me to do so. If you're pressed for time the slow traffic won't last forever and you can make up for it in a mile or two. I'd much rather be late a few minutes than a hood ornament or splatter on the pavement. I'm with Erci and others.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as there's no cop, plenty of room, and a slow driver in front of me - then sometimes if it's daylight and I'm in that mood.

ChaosCrayons

Reaction score
Visit site
As a new rider I dont concern myself with hitting the apex all that much but when I am trying to get better at this riding stuff I consider the inside of the corner to be the inside of the double yellow line. whenever possible I stay in my lane and will only go outside of it in emergencies or by accident. My friend was pushing too hard and ended up drifting over the center line and was hit by a truck... spent about 8 months laying on hit back with a broken femur and two broken ankles. so I am actually a little timid in corners because I have had to watch someone go through messing up.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Not at all dude. I think you have a brain. Double lines are there for a reason. It's not a safe place to pass.

Nice brain comment....:tard:

Do you really think this applies evenly to all vehicles on the road?

Some people are able to easily see that the roads are painted with the average slow passenger car being driven by a 16 y/o school girl in mind, not an FZ6. I think these are the people with the brains, maybe? Or at least the ability to think for themselves.

Not to mention the fact that speed limits and cross walks etc. etc. are all "there for a reason" as well.

Lane splitting is illegal in all states except CA...hmmmm.

Do you ever bend a rule that you feel can be safely and responsibly bent or do you go through life always doing exaclty what you're told without a second thought?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
there are rules and then THERE ARE RULES.
Most of us have the ability to read a situation and know we could cross the dble line with relative impunity. Why I dont: the idiot coming the other way, I don't necessarily know how the road is going to turn, will it tighten up, will the camber fall away?
Most laws are put in place to protect the majority.
Couple of years ago(30) I had a Honda Prelude that could take any corner at double the recommended speed limit, not the legal limit, so I drove it hard.
Now that I am somewhat older, I am far more cautious, with so much more to lose, I tend to obey most rules, its never cut and dried tho' I walk against the red ALL the time
I'm with erci I'm lame

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
i guess im old enough to know better but too young to care,,,,
^^somebody here said that but i cant remember who...

if its slow I can get past any car within 2 seconds, but thats only in the daylight on familiar roads with great visibility....now even in the 400hp monster i call a Mustang I dont pass on dbl yellow, i could easily do it in about the same time as it takes the fz....

I think its all about the road and the circumstances, theres a time and a place for everything, not everything is appropriate for all ppl or vehicles.

im not sayin that disobeying traffic laws is in any way a good thing nor do i advocate or recommend it for anybody :rolleyes:

Dartanubis

Reaction score
Visit site
I pass on double yellow lines everytime there is a car infront of me if i dont see any cops or side roads driveways potential dangers etc i just cant stand to see a cager infront of my bike just annoys me... im probably alone in this xD.