POLL: Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

• NEVER - I stay in my lane and wait for passing zones

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • YES - to pass ONLY (assuming it's clear/clean/no driveways etc.)

Votes: 171 47.6%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex WHEN CLEAR

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex RECKLESSLY

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • YES - By accident when blowing turns

Votes: 25 7.0%
  • OTHER - please explain

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I can see two full corners and it's a one or two cars ruining my ride I'll cross. Otherwise I hot pit.

Mike100

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, no problem if the way is clear with no hills or curves near by, especially considering in Ontario lines on the road are not regulatory.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this just the other day. Was on one of my favorite curvey backroads around town, and ran up on a car doing 20, speed limit on the road is 40, I usually clip along at 55-60. Had a decent clearing, crossed the double yellow to get past them. Don't really see mid harm or foul if done safely and quickly. Mid corner though, f that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, no problem if the way is clear with no hills or curves near by, especially considering in Ontario lines on the road are not regulatory.

:eek: Ummm, then why put lines on the road, just to "pretty things up"?? (kidding mostly :BLAA:).

ericausand

Reaction score
Visit site
I will pass if the coast is clear. Not more than a couple cars though, and not on turns, unless it's an emergency, which does happen.

But most of the time I will just stop the bike for a few minutes and let the guy go down the road, especially if it's a small strip of road that I want to buzz. I try not to go too fast down these beautiful CT back roads but it's tough!

Last edited:

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Never. Surviving on a motorcycle (or in a car) in increased by doing what others EXPECT you to do. An eighteen wheeler topping a hill with a double yellow to his left is NOT expecting to see an FZ6 in his lane coming in the other direction, and in my humble opinion, is under no obligation to run off the road (risking his own life) to avoid crushing the idiot.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend crosses the double-yellow to pass when safe/prudent but stays in his lane otherwise. He does this very often on back roads. Sometimes if he comes up on a chain of cars on a twisty road he'll carefully/slowly leap frog until he gets in front and is able to take off. He always gives a wave of respect if at all possible. He tries not to buzz anyone and makes a big effort not to force anything (always trying to keep the unknown unknown in mind).

But he's not perfect nor does he have 30+ years of riding experience, not even close.

You?

I could be your friend.. I do the same.. Except, if I'm on a road with a lot of traffic I'll typically find a different route with less traffic.. One or two cars that are doing the speed limit or less?? I'll pass on a double yellow when safe..

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Never. Surviving on a motorcycle (or in a car) in increased by doing what others EXPECT you to do. An eighteen wheeler topping a hill with a double yellow to his left is NOT expecting to see an FZ6 in his lane coming in the other direction, and in my humble opinion, is under no obligation to run off the road (risking his own life) to avoid crushing the idiot.

You already provided the same polarizing opinion on page 3 of this thread (to which I replied but received no response)...no need to be a post-whore.

The situation you describe above sounds like a perfect example of when NOT to pass -- double-yellow, dotted, or no paint at all. I didn't find your comment insightful or constructive. :thumbdown:

Last edited:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
You already provided the same polarizing opinion on page 3 of this thread (to which I replied but received no response)...no need to be a post-whore.

The situation you describe above sounds like a perfect example of when NOT to pass -- double-yellow, dotted, or no paint at all. I didn't find your comment insightful or constructive. :thumbdown:

(tangentially off topic :D)
Heheheheheh...not taking sides here, but this whole TOPIC is "polarizing" as, IMHO/observations, is any safety/law/regulatory related topic. :ban: :BLAA: (just an observation from what I've seen and read on this and other forums).

Granted, if the poster has already expressed his/her/its :rolleyes: opinions already...

Mike100

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: Ummm, then why put lines on the road, just to "pretty things up"?? (kidding mostly :BLAA:).
I was told that when the laws were changed in 1990, there was no longer provisions included for regulating the lines on the road. There are still rules for passing near a hill or a bend in the road. But I guess theoretically they could make then all solid lines.
As I was not living in Ontario in 1990 when this happened I don't know first hand, only what I heard.

Last edited:

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I am a little new at the riding scene, I guess never is the correct answer, although I cant say I have never cut it close either, passing when I know the Double yellow is coming up soon.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I am a little new at the riding scene, I guess never is the correct answer, although I cant say I have never cut it close either, passing when I know the Double yellow is coming up soon.

Good answer :thumbup:

Less than 2 years riding and you're still a relative newbie, IMO

Newbies should not do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
(tangentially off topic :D)
Heheheheheh...not taking sides here, but this whole TOPIC is "polarizing" as, IMHO/observations, is any safety/law/regulatory related topic. :ban: :BLAA: (just an observation from what I've seen and read on this and other forums).

Granted, if the poster has already expressed his/her/its :rolleyes: opinions already...

Point taken. I guess my perspective is that I'm looking for constructive dialog on the topic. That is, I'm looking to see things from others point of view and ponder things I never considered before. To take a hard line, use extreme examples that don't apply to what's being discussed, and cast out some mild/indirect insults is all fine if that's what you want to do, it's just not helpful to me personally. That's all I'm saying. :thumbup:

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, definitely not one that can be applied to all places and people, hence the opportunity for dialog and my dissatisfaction with absolute statements.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I try not to cross the double yellow line when I am passing a car although sometimes I do.

In California you are allowed to lane share or as some call it split traffic.

If the driver is cool we will shift over a little to let me pass while sharing his lane.

Otherwise sometimes I ride on the line or go slightly over to pass him if there is a decent sized clearing.

Maybe, Californians have a different attitude then other rides because we are so used to lane-sharing or splitting traffic. I have driven between an oncoming truck and car on my side which was moved over in the lane to let me make a pass. Motorcycles are small and nibble and fit easily between traffic.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I try not to cross the double yellow line when I am passing a car although sometimes I do.

In California you are allowed to lane share or as some call it split traffic.

If the driver is cool we will shift over a little to let me pass while sharing his lane.

Otherwise sometimes I ride on the line or go slightly over to pass him if there is a decent sized clearing.

Maybe, Californians have a different attitude then other rides because we are so used to lane-sharing or splitting traffic. I have driven between an oncoming truck and car on my side which was moved over in the lane to let me make a pass. Motorcycles are small and nibble and fit easily between traffic.

I don't think it's a good idea or even legal to share a lane with another vehicle in the state of California. There is no law against filtering between two lanes in traffic provided you do it safely. So I would take lane splitting or filtering and lane sharing to be two different animals.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I lane share as well and it's not illegal in California. Lots of cars will make room for you to scoot on by when traffic is slowed down on a 2 lane and there is a chain of cars (where passing them all at once with speed would be too aggressive).

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it, but I really don't like to. I don't like to, because it's illegal and people usually don't expect another vehicle to pass them in that manner, be it a motorcycle or car. It's also very risky, because one can be side swiped by a car intentionally or unintentionally, either way it's going to be difficult to argue one's case for making an illegal maneuver and being hit during that move. Right or wrong, it's the rider that will suffer the physical damages in a collision. I almost witnessed a head on collision with a rider up ahead crossing the double yellow, locking up his rear wheel to avoid the car that appeared in a blind turn, all because he was trying to keep up with his buddy on the way up to Laguna Seca for MotoGP last year on Hwy 1. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to pass and potentially make manageable situation worse.

Here's where I really don't like doing it and that is while riding in a group of 3 or more. I have to think carefully and take greater consideration when riding in a group and attempting an over the double yellow pass. It's easy for the lead rider to pass, because they're the ones that set the pace and can sneak pass a car whenever they choose. However, for a rider that's following they may find themselves in trouble if the car being passed is now aware that another bike wants to potentially pass to catch up with their friend. This driver can now make it easy or difficult for the rest of the following riders to pass or not.

If for some reason I don't feel it's a smart or safe move I'll just chill and in those instances I use the opportunity to concentrate on skills I can work on at a steady pace like throttle control, body position, peg weighting, etc.

Last edited: