Pricing help please

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've got two months to get rid of my 2004 Silver FZ6 that blew it's engine. Right now it's parked in a garage that's costing me only $100/month, which isn't awful.

Options:

1) Sell as is, needs new motor. How much should I ask for? $1000 too much? Better to call it a parts bike or just say it needs a motor?
2) Part out: Nervous about time required and wouldn't know what to do with the remainder
3) Salvage: I have no idea if anyone will pay to take it. More likely I'd have to pay to have it hauled off.
4) Crazy option: Buy a $600 motor and try to get it running in a month and hawk it on CL for $2k. I can *probably* do that, but if something goes wrong I'm out another chunk of cash.

If you think parting out some of the tasty bits is a real, viable option, which things am I missing that might actually be worth something and easy to ship?

CCT
Chain & sprockets (<5k miles on them)
side visors (silver)
inner cowling pieces
side pods
rearsets/pegs (OEM)
Headlights
Clutch cover
Timing cover
Stator
Stator cover

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As time is of the essence, I'd probably place it on CL and sell for 1K..

Someone mechanically inclined can put another engine in it for roughly $600 and have a running bike for $1,600. Can't really beat that.

Great for both the seller and buyer... Sold as is, no headache for you...

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Scott, sell the bike as a whole, parting it out will always leave you with hard to move items and with a two month timeline you don't need that.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Up on local moto forums and CL. So far only scammer ****bag responses, but we'll see if there's a nibble over the weekend.