Q? Remove the Top triple/Can I unplug the Ignition Switch?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went back with keys!!!
Bottom line; Remove the bars, Remove the nut, loosen the top pinch bolts, remove the cable holder once the triple is loose and WALLA - Flip it over and secure it too the fork leg. It is now stable for drilling or grinding or punching. Pick your battle. I didn't want sparks flying or I would have slotted it. There is ample room to slot and NOT cut into the triple. Also the harness is long enough to flip and secure it.

Fork Stanchion Holding Triple for drilling process:
47014d1362948636-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_151550_916-jpg

DRILL IT! NOTE: there are vent holes in the bottom of the switch. I covered them with tape before drilling the second bolt out. Those chips don't belong in the switch!
47015d1362948971-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_152417_495-jpg

DONE! Notice Magnet in the paper bag collecting chips!
47016d1362948971-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_152755_697-jpg

Now to powder coat.. .. ..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can lay the triple on the blanket near the tank and have a buddy hold it while drilling.

I would strongly recommend some slight support just keeping the front wheel on the ground lightly, it'll keep everything lined up..

It was on the front wheel and center stand. In Short; Plan worked as Expected. Bike sat patiently on center stand while I drilled on her! I suggest this over anyone free had holding the triple while someone else drills. VERY STABLE!!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Really like the magnet idea, smart, kudos!

BTW, to keep my keys from scratching up the triple clamp, I just have a cheap, single chrome, hasp (or clasp) that stays on my house/SUV key ring.

The Yamaha key snaps onto that when not in use.

When riding, the Yamaha key comes off alone (from my main key ring) and is in the ignition, again alone (no damage).

I rarely use the kill switch and lock the helmet to the bike (have to use that key) and have NEVER left it in the ignition accidentally..

I also have a spare key (aftermarket just flat, no Yamaha black end) taped up (duct tape) up under the inner fairing, out of sight. Should I loose my key, I'm not stranded, pull the back up key and go!!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a Good idea especially after walking out with this sinking feeling when I couldn't find my keys on a ride. Hidden in jacket liner through a tiny hole. :(

I'm doing this as I never cared for the silver on an otherwise all black chassis. It just doesn't do much for me. Will hopefully have it done by next weekend if all goes well.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2013-03-16 Powder Coat Day:

All went well and I got all my parts done. One thing that went bad was the brake lever bushing had a melt down in the oven. I thought it was some kind of bronze bushing but it has some plastic impregnated into and it melted into a pool at 405F after cooking for 15 min. In short I may need a new bushing. :(

Oh - and Yama Black from the guys up there - well its not exactly black. More like Yama Brown! I didn't use it. So I mixed Lazer Black and something that was satin black and got this which is really close to the OEM black as seen by the passenger rear set in the picture.
47119d1363486843-somethin-black-dsc_6484web2-jpg

47120d1363488676-somethin-black-dsc_6499-web2-jpg

How to fail at indoor photography!!! lol When its all back together and in the SUN, I'll take better pic!!! At least the SILVER TRIPLE IS GONE!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited: