Question about damaged Tank

solrak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys just wondering what my options are in regards to repairing my tank. I have heard you used to be able to blow the dents/creases out with the older style tanks but new tanks have multiple layers. Also I have heard you can get someone to spot weld onto part of the tank and pull out the damage? Or is it just a case of filler and paint?

The reason why I ask is most secondhand tanks i've come across are also damaged and not in the orange colour that i'm after.

I will post pics of the tank later on today, basically it has a dent the size of a fifty cent coin and a large dent/crease on the other side about 15cm in lenght. Paint is in good nick.

W

wrightme43

Well the spot weld and pull method will use less filler and look the best. It does make the tank prone to rusting inside later though.

I just used bondo and sand on mine. I suck at it though so it doesnt look good up close. Then I threw my bike on the floor and dented the other side and said screw it. LOL

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a product here called "Twist A Dent" or "Ding King" that pops out small dents. You attach a pulling tab to the dent with a hot glue gun (very sticky black glue), set up a bridge to either side of the dent and then use a wingnut to pull the tab up to the bridge. Each time you do this the tab pulls the dent out a little more before the glue releases. It may take 5-10 tries but all of my car door and foot dents are gone now and no welding, bondo or painting! The instructions say to only use it on original paint. I got mine at Pep Boys but the other auto part stores sell it too. This product is a small version of what collision repair and body shops use. :thumbup:

Good luck.

solrak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Guys I will try and source that product and give it a go. Managed to get some pics of the damaged tank for you all to peek at. What do you think?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oooooo....I don't know about that one. That is a very sharp dent for it's location on the tank. I almost think the metal is bent too far to come back. The weld and pull method as mentioned may work. I think regardless you will need some pretty thick body filler in there.

What to some of you body work pros say???

solrak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I think the big dent will be the major problem. I could buy another second hand tank but to get it in this paint scheme is fairly rare and I don't really wanna respray to that colour. I do love the orange/black paint though!!

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Them are some nice lil dingers you got there, i too had some similiar dents in my tank and had to lay in a good amount of filler to get them to disappear, when you do the filler it will take a couple passes of filling and sanding to get it right, but it can be done and look like nothing ever happened, patience is the key to your success. Check this out it this is what i did with my tank http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/10050-dent-gone.html

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the past I have pushed small dents out from the inside. I removed my tank (drained the fuel). Using an angled piece of metal with a rubber on the end I have been able to push the dent out.
When using this method you have to be very gentle with the pushing and ensure that you are in the exact place. The risk is you create a dent coming from the inside

Nelly