R1 Shock Install

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Hellgate. You actually gave me the idea. I spent alot of time looking into this and overcoming the spring issue. I actually came across another thread in the versys forum. These guys are using the 2005 and later R1 shock, and swapping 12, 13, and 14kg springs with no issues.

If you look at racetech, they sell springs up to 11.6kg for the R1. And higher rates as "alternate"(these are the same part numbers as the FZ6 springs. Oh, and the spring is a direct swap. The collers are not needed for the stock, or the higher rate FZ6 spring.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
OK guys, so the stiffer spring is the ticket. 3 clicks preload and right in the middle of adjustment so far for compression/rebound. Only got a short ride in, but feels much more compliant. The rear wheel feels like it is "hugging" the bumps instead of skipping over them. Also making the front feel really crappy now. Oh well, 1.1kg fronts, valve emulators and preload adjusters are on the way. So total investment..... $54, shipped! And of course the obligatory pics. It is pretty.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
DHoback - Any way you put up some close-up pics of the upper and lower mounting points?

The lower is simple. Use the longer bushing from the FZ6 shock. The upper, unfortunately has to be ground. Pretty straight forward. You just grind slowly(I used an angle grinder) until you have the clearence needed. I'll try to get a pic.

Little update. Went out again(Its about to poor here in Philadelphia). I added 2 more clics on both compression and rebound. Im at 4 clicks preload, and that has my sag right about 25mm or so. And, yes, it is changing the feel of the bike. So my hunch that the valving would be ok was correct. Now, by no means am I saying this is as good as the ohlins, but I did only spend $54 and few hours of my time. I'll take it!

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the update. When you swapped the spring did you need any special tools (e.g. spring compressor)? This seems like a straightforward and budget-conscious mod for those of us who want a more firmly planted rear AND don't want to/can't pay $500+ for a "proper" FZ6 rear shock upgrade.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a good ride today, and several short rides throughout. Been adjusting it all along the way. The first ride was at the middle range specs, and I think I am going to use that as my long distance cruising settings. Excellent plush ride, but the tire firmly planted. I increased the settings several clicks, and am where I want it to be for my everyday street riding. Little harsher on low speed bumps, but firmer and even more planted on higher speeds. Worlds better than stock. Im going to have to say that this is the best money I have spent on the bike yet.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, Im 6'4" and 225lbs without gear. So, this is working well for the larger species of human.

Last edited:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Got a good ride today, and several short rides throughout. Been adjusting it all along the way. The first ride was at the middle range specs, and I think I am going to use that as my long distance cruising settings. Excellent plush ride, but the tire firmly planted. I increased the settings several clicks, and am where I want it to be for my everyday street riding. Little harsher on low speed bumps, but firmer and even more planted on higher speeds. Worlds better than stock. Im going to have to say that this is the best money I have spent on the bike yet.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, Im 6'4" and 225lbs without gear. So, this is working well for the larger species of human.

Cool! I'm just catching up with the forum and this is good stuff. I so want to improve the rear and can't justify $550+ on a rear shock.

So, am I reading it correctly that you changed the spring on the R1 shock to something from Racetech?

What years shock do you recommend and what spec spring did you go with? I'm just a few pounds lighter than you.

This might be an excellent winter project for me!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man this is great news! Well done. I see the value of R1 shocks on Ebay going up 100%.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Okay, I re-read the thread paying more attention, and it appears that you swapped the FZ6 spring onto a R1 shock? Is that correct?

What year(s) R1 shock should I be looking for?

Are the shock lengths close enough for this not to disturb the bike geometry?

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I used my stock fz6 spring, which I think is 12.5kg. I am planning on using a racetech 13.4kg in the near future when I get the front stuff as well. This is the shock that should have come on the fz6 stock! Yes Hellgate, I agree that the price will likely go up. I may end up buying a few extras at the current prices.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
So to recap guys. Anyone that wants to do this. 2001-2004 R1 shock w/ vertical reservoir. Use the upper and lower bushings from the stock fz6 shock. The lower slides rights out. The upper must be pressed out of the fz6 shock and into the R1 shock. Or buy a new one(P/N 34L-22216-00-00) Its a PITA, but I did it with a vice and some sockets.) Use the stock FZ6 spring, or heavier one from racetech. And lastly, turn the bottom of the shock 180 degs so the bottom adjuster is on the right side of the bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So to recap guys. Anyone that wants to do this. 2001-2004 R1 shock w/ vertical reservoir. Use the upper and lower bushings from the stock fz6 shock. The lower slides rights out. The upper must be pressed out of the fz6 shock and into the R1 shock. Or buy a new one(P/N 34L-22216-00-00) Its a PITA, but I did it with a vice and some sockets.) Use the stock FZ6 spring, or heavier one from racetech. And lastly, turn the bottom of the shock 180 degs so the bottom adjuster is on the right side of the bike.

Question: did you measure the bushing to bushing full extension and fully collapsed distance? Some time ago I found a thread in the R1 forum that gave those numbers and the full extension was shorter than our shock although I make no claims to the accuracy.

Also, from the one picture, it looks like you had to trim the frame back to fit the shock?

Just curious and thanks for posting! :thumbup:

Last edited:

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not measure. The 2 shocks are about the same length eye-balling them side by side. Yes, you have to cut the shock bracket on the frame for the R1 to fit. Pretty straight forward. Cut slow and evenly until you have enough room to slide the bolt back through and account for about 10 degrees of upward travel.

I have had a blast playing with it for the last couple weeks. Great plush feel, but the tire is planted. Couple clicks of compression for better roads and more spirited riding.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Question: did you measure the bushing to bushing full extension and fully collapsed distance? Some time ago I found a thread in the R1 forum that gave those numbers and the full extension was shorter than our shock although I make no claims to the accuracy.

Also, from the one picture, it looks like you had to trim the frame back to fit the shock?

Just curious and thanks for posting! :thumbup:

I found this:
A couple of posts saying its 300mm eye to eye fully extended. Now the collapsed number and if Moto Joe would kindly measure his spare and maybe take the spring off and collapse it, we'd be in the game.

PS - few other posts say is 320 mm eye (R1)

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be doing this conversion later this week. I will take measurements and may do a how to video. It looks easy enough to do it within 2 hours or less with the proper tools.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the update. When you swapped the spring did you need any special tools (e.g. spring compressor)? This seems like a straightforward and budget-conscious mod for those of us who want a more firmly planted rear AND don't want to/can't pay $500+ for a "proper" FZ6 rear shock upgrade.

Same question; I know the Fiz shock you can unscrew the lower pivot (likely with the aid of spring compressor), but it looks like doing that action to R1 shock would result in letting the nitrogen out. Unless there is slot in the spring retainer to simply compress it and slide the retainer out past the shaft.

Can you tell use how you replaced the spring? Sadly I can't find a thing to show how its done. I mean it could unscrew like the fiz but with the adjustment down there I'm not certain of the outcome.

Thanks!