R6 Gauges on FZ6?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Guages / Ignition

Ok I have a guage/ignition question to ad.

I have option to buy a wrecked 2004 R6. Only front end damage. No structural damage except for the front fairing bracket. Upper fairing broken in half, Lights are gone, guages are gone. Looks like the wiring plug for the guages is bent up/broken. The bike looks very well taken care of. clean gas tank like Mint. minor/minor little scratches on rest of the fairing panels. Estimate less than 10,000 miles. It's been sitting for 2 years. Needs new rear tire.

Oh! Key is missing... Nice.... Clear non salvage tittle.

I can get the bike for $1,100 USD. It's been years since I've owned a bike and was looking for something to build up a batpod style bike. I'm good mechanically and can fabricate aluminum stuff. Plate or cnc. This seemed like such a good deal till I found out about the ignition/guage issue.

Ok, My question. Is this a nightmare, or can I throw down 1,100 and bypass the ignition (easy toggle hack) and drive this thing around with my own headlight and fairing mod without the guage pod. Or does this bike need the guage pod and actual keyed ignition to run properly. I don't know anything about the computer controlled issues with speed/tach and fuel dilivery stuff.

Or.... Could I rebuild with oem parts for about 1,200 + the 1,100 initial and sell the bike for around 4,000?

Any sugestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Oh! it has one of those fancy steering damper thingys bolted to the forks.

Thanks....

Cory

The FZ6 runs fine without the gauge connected. So I'd imagine any bike would.

As for the ignition, an ignition is basically a keyed switch. You can wire up a keyed or nonkeyed switch and do whatever you want. Or you could wire it straight so the ignition is always on, but I wouldn't do that.

I'd imagine finding a gauge and ignition for an R6 wouldn't be too hard on ebay or craigslist. There's a bunch of R6 guages for less than $100

Easom

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome... That's the answer I was looking for.... I was told by a tech kid at the Yamaha shop that the ignition had some diode thing that worked only with the ECU coded to the special key and you couldn't hotwire it in any way and it wouldn't run without the guages because the guages were a computer that handled fuel delivery.... I said.... "Isn't it a combustion engine? Get some spark to it and crank it up!" He's like..., "no." I think he wanted to buy the bike.... lol Anyway, I will jump into the project and I'm sure I will find a few surprises along the way. Thanks for letting me jump in on this thread..... Cory If there's more info... Keep it coming! :)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome... That's the answer I was looking for.... I was told by a tech kid at the Yamaha shop that the ignition had some diode thing that worked only with the ECU coded to the special key and you couldn't hotwire it in any way and it wouldn't run without the guages because the guages were a computer that handled fuel delivery.... I said.... "Isn't it a combustion engine? Get some spark to it and crank it up!" He's like..., "no." I think he wanted to buy the bike.... lol Anyway, I will jump into the project and I'm sure I will find a few surprises along the way. Thanks for letting me jump in on this thread..... Cory If there's more info... Keep it coming! :)

The european models have an immobilizer ignition which requires a special coded key. The U.S. models however don't.

The ECU handles fuel delivery, not the gauges.

Jinushi

Reaction score
Visit site
Post revive.....

I've got an 2005 FZ6-SSU that I rebuilt
I've fitted the 2007/2008 R6 speedometer

The clock will talk to the FZ ecm and the full diagnostic system functions
Speedometer and all lights function correctly

BUT

Yup big but...

The R6 uses a dedicated signal wire from the ecm for the tacho

While the Fazer is old school shares tacho signal with the ignition coil

So what happens is idle to slightly off 4,000rpm the tacho works fine, but above that the tacho starts bouncing about waving between 6,000-3,500rpm

I'm thinking them emf of the ignition coil is causing drama

To cure it, I'm going to try mod the wiring harness and take signal feed from the fuel injector for tacho signal
Alternatively will need to try some digital electronics sorcerery maby use of an opto couplar??

As for connecting, use workshop manual for pin out position on the clocks, they are in different locations, wire colour meaning is the same

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Post revive.....

I've got an 2005 FZ6-SSU that I rebuilt
I've fitted the 2007/2008 R6 speedometer

The clock will talk to the FZ ecm and the full diagnostic system functions
Speedometer and all lights function correctly

BUT

Yup big but...

The R6 uses a dedicated signal wire from the ecm for the tacho

While the Fazer is old school shares tacho signal with the ignition coil

So what happens is idle to slightly off 4,000rpm the tacho works fine, but above that the tacho starts bouncing about waving between 6,000-3,500rpm

I'm thinking them emf of the ignition coil is causing drama

To cure it, I'm going to try mod the wiring harness and take signal feed from the fuel injector for tacho signal
Alternatively will need to try some digital electronics sorcerery maby use of an opto couplar??

As for connecting, use workshop manual for pin out position on the clocks, they are in different locations, wire colour meaning is the same
I believe the tach signal is derived via the ECU data line to the CPU in the instrument cluster. I've never seen a schematic showing a pick off from and ignition coil on the FZ6. The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) signal is the likely source for RPM calculation. If you did use the coil signal for RPM keep in mind the FZ6 uses 2 coils for the 1-4-3-2 firing order and you will see double the spark frequency as there will be the waste spark. Engine RPM will equal coil frequency divided by 2.