Radial master cylinder servicing

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Folks,

I've been on the ZX6 for a few months now, and could see that the rear brake fluid was obviously discolored. That led to me flushing/bleeding the back brakes, which were in DIRE need of a service. The fluid looked like liquid carbon dust... very nearly solid black.:eek:

The front had been changed out, as the reservoir showed just a slight discoloration. Since I'd already opened the DOT4 container, I knew it couldn't hurt to flush the front lines, as well.

I am here to tell you, having a bleeder nipple at the top of the brake line is a revelation in ease of service. :rockon: The remote reservoir made it really easy to pour out the old fluid, and simplified flushing out the old fluid immensely.

Flushed the bleeder at the top of the line, and immediately got a little bubble out of the line. :cheer: Flushed that a whole bunch more, until I was sure I had pulled all the old fluid out of the master cylinder piston area.

The rest of the service is pretty much standard fare-- the wye in the lines is much higher on the fork, so there is no chance of having a gas bubble form in the 'short' over the wheel line......:rolleyes:

I'll be riding to work on Monday, and will get a chance to try out the brakes then.

$3.48 for the fluid, a couple of rags, a piece of clear plastic tubing, and a glass jar. I'm sure the copious sweat from the heat still came out much cheaper than having the dealership do this.:D