Removing 2006 FZ6 bars ends. Searched forums and still can't remove.

moms_spaghetti

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, as the titles states, I'm having trouble removing the bar ends on my bike. I'm using a wrench with an Allen key adapter that fits the bar end socket perfectly and hammering it in the "lefty loosy" direction and it won't budge AT ALL. Help plz! I just want to get my bar end mirrors on...
https://imgur.com/3Jj3TBU <- pic of Allen head in socket

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From your pic that looks like a bad case of rust.

Here's a pic of the stock bar end from my 2008.

Bar End.jpg

You can see that the threads are part of the bar end and are not close to the end with the hex socket.

I suggest that you loosen up the grip and squirt some WD40 or other penetrating oil inside about 2 cm in from the end so some gets to the threads. Give it an hour and try the wrench gain. Rusted fittings tend to loosen best with a tap rather than with a slow pull.

Remove the grip and clean it with dish detergent and water. If it slips too much even after drying, consider replacing it.

Good luck!

Chris

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll find that the actual allen socket is about 2cm inside the bar end. It looks like a 6.5mm allen from the outer end of thebarend but is really only a 5mm( or something like that) and is right inside- Its a long while since I swapped mine for HVMP barends but it is kinda ringing a bell
+1 on WD-40 and using an impact driver, but you'll need another body hold your bike steady

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, your going to be using the larger, outer allen key one (about 5/16").

Their only supposed to be torqued to 19 ft lbs.

I just had mine off last week and had them powder coated (wearing the original finish off).

If your not going to use the bar ends(not sure with the mirrors), a large channel lock or vise grip would also work
but the allen key with a small pipe extension should break them loose

Last edited: