Restriction, break in period

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone! :)

I'm picking up the bike on Friday and of course it has to be broken in for 600 miles. Can someone tell me what speed a restricted FZ6 Fazer S2 can go at 6000rpm?

Reason I ask is that when I pick up the bike I have to drive it 100 miles back to my home on motorways and I do not want to exceed 6000rpm for a while yet.

Thanks for any help on this! :)

Scorphonic.

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
according to my speedo and Rev counter 70mph will be fine at 6000rpm you will have room to spare to squeeze it up around the 80 mark at 7000rpm

W

wrightme43

Break in is B.S.

Read up on it.

Back to CalSci since he has so kindly taken all the cool stuff and put it in one place, or you can search about it, and get the same info.

But here you go clean, and to the point.
New Motorcycle Check list, Break in

I did not and will not follow the manufacturers break in. It is not the best way, and you end up running on full bypass at the filter for 500 miles or more of the 600 mile break in.

Print it out and follow the instructions for super happy joy joy bike.

Seriously if you cant do this, and you can tote it home in a truck, its best.

Last edited by a moderator:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone! :)

I'm picking up the bike on Friday and of course it has to be broken in for 600 miles. Can someone tell me what speed a restricted FZ6 Fazer S2 can go at 6000rpm?

Reason I ask is that when I pick up the bike I have to drive it 100 miles back to my home on motorways and I do not want to exceed 6000rpm for a while yet.

Thanks for any help on this! :)

Scorphonic.

The book says no prolonged periods above 7000 revs ... not DON'T go above 7000 rpm ;)

Give it a blast :)

brownie

Reaction score
Visit site
The book says no prolonged periods

Another point to note, you're not only braking in the engine but also the gearbox and other mechanicals, also bedding in brakes, clutch, etc. hence a motorway route wouldn't be recomended. Far better to ride it back on backroads.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
The key is lots of oil changes and heat cycling. Get it good and warm then let it cool for a while then get warmed back up again. Just use, not abuse it:thumbup:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no option but motorway riding. I may be able to get a good drive around the city before going on the motorway to get the initial break in (described in that link) done but I have to bring it on the motorway...I live in the Republic of Ireland and the bike is being purchased in Northern Ireland....at least 100 to 120 miles from home.

At least I know that I'll be well able to hit the 60mph without going over 6,000. I'll be following the manufacturers recommendations... I did so for my first bike and it runs like a dream after 22,000 km and this is a 125cc...not a great engine. So...what I did the first time worked so I'll be doing it again this time!

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
the most logical course of the manual break in

Are you very experienced riding a 600cc bike that can boogie hella fast? Are you sophisticated enough in using the throttle that you wont over rev and throw yourself into a telephone pole or a fence or another car? If your going really fast are you 100% sure you can stop quickly? Perhaps there is more to the 6Krpm restriction than just the engine?

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Are you very experienced riding a 600cc bike that can boogie hella fast? Are you sophisticated enough in using the throttle that you wont over rev and throw yourself into a telephone pole or a fence or another car? If your going really fast are you 100% sure you can stop quickly? Perhaps there is more to the 6Krpm restriction than just the engine?

listen to the voice of wisdom .... I agree:thumbup:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
No I've never ridden a 600cc before but this bike is grand to go on. The restriction is a throttle restriction where there is only 1/3 movement in the throttle so I can never over accelerate through the gears. The top speed is 130km/hr (80mph) so thats grand. The bike is so easy to handle, much easier than my 125cc so thats a pleasant bonus. I'm pretty confident in my riding alright, I only ride to my abilities so that means being bloody cautious!:)

This bike sure is nice! Red has got to be the nicest colour! :)

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm

i understand the 1/3 throttle restriction, and only 33 hp. however, it only takes a small amount of throttle to over do it. can you buy a cramp buster over there? i use one and it really helps to keep the trottle even without using your entire hand to grip it. good luck and enjoy your bike, man i love mine.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that cramp buster like a plastic paddle that connects to the throttle? I've been thinking about getting one alright but never really knew how good it would work. I've almost put 600 miles on the bike now...this has got to be the best fun I've had in a long time! :)

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought and tried a cramp buster. I have never really been able to get used to it. In fact, the problem I had was that there is so much leverage, I accidentally hit the cramp buster with my palm and unexpectedly launched the bike.

Maybe I am challenged in this way :p, but when you get one, take care while getting used to it.