ride without gauges?

Johnsonty

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a dumb question but is there anything wrong, other than the obvious safety and legal problems, with riding with no gauge cluster? I thought I saw a picture of someone doing it and it got me thinking is it just a display thing or did it control important things you need?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same year bike as you and I rode it briefly with the whole front fairing/ gauge cluster removed. Ran fine. Only problem was I didn't have: headlights, mirrors, speedometer, neutral indicator, and everything else attached to the fairing. It was an awesome sensation though. Makes the bike feel much smaller and more confidence inspiring, as well as lighter and easier to wheelie :D

I see why people like going naked... The only issue is the wind at highway speeds really wants to pull you off the back.

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same year bike as you and I rode it briefly with the whole front fairing/ gauge cluster removed. Ran fine. Only problem was I didn't have: headlights, mirrors, speedometer, neutral indicator, and everything else attached to the fairing. It was an awesome sensation though. Makes the bike feel much smaller and more confidence inspiring, as well as lighter and easier to wheelie :D

I see why people like going naked... The only issue is the wind at highway speeds really wants to pull you off the back.

The only reason why I kept my front fairing.. It does not feel good doing 80 on the freeway while windy.... I had it with just cluster, headlight and mirrors for a while.. It felt like a total different bike.... I could zoom between cars like nothing... You can ride with out the cluster, its not a problem. Speed wise, dont go way faster than cagers... Im not sure the blinkers work without it..

Jon

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
No fuel level indication either

If your engine overheats or has an issue, you won't know until you see steam or the engine seizes up....

IMHO, at least keep the engine warning lights hooked up.

Oh man... If it over heats you can definitely feel the heat and slugish performance and some new model bikes dont have fuel gauge.. Its like driving a dirtbike... No nothing... pure fun. lol :thumbup:

Last edited:

Johnsonty

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it mess up the fuel injection or charging system? I have rode with it offf for a sorry ride mid battery swap just wondered if it would be harmful for longer term just to switch it up for a bit without going completely naked!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Shouldn't affect any system on the bike. The gauges only read signals coming from the ECU, they don't send any back to it. Be careful riding without mirrors though, it is extremely unnerving.