Riding overloaded

SkyCam

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm 3 days into owning and riding my fz6, and I've got a couple of questions.

I'm a big guy, 6'-7" 312 lbs, which by myself isn't a problem on the bike, but I've got a son that wants to ride with me everywhere. He's weighs about 170 lbs. This puts us way over the 417 lbs max load capacity.

I've taken him with me with no changes to the bike from factory, and everything seems to be ok.

I just wondering, am I hurting the bike, and if so what am I hurting?

Then, if I'm not going to hurt anything, how should I set it up?

Thanks for all input.

I'm a big guy, 6'-7" 312 lbs, which by myself isn't a problem on the bike, but I've got a son that wants to ride with me everywhere. He's weighs about 170 lbs. This puts us way over the 417 lbs max load capacity.

:needpics:

Kinda like towing a boat with a civic?

LOL, seriously, you're overloading the suspension and making the engine work harder than it would with less weight (too hard? i'm not the person to answer that). If you must, crank the rear preload up to seven, get some heavier springs/oil up front and pay attention to sag, and leave extra room for braking!

When is your son going to get his own bike?

Welcome to the forum!!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I think you can mod the suspension might help you out. not sure tho.

apart from that.....ummmm, i dunno. If I were you I wouldnt mind all that much.

I have done much worse to things that were designed by teams of engineers and they always held up fine. so what if youre a little out of the range. I doubt youll ever notice anything amiss. Maybe after doing it daily for 10 years youll have to fix it up. But even then, who cares.

It is built for you. It is your machine. It will do what you ask of it. She is your mule, she is your lovely, sexy mule. Ya she'll be a touch annoyed at having to bear a slightly overload.....but it builds character. She will thank you for it when you think back on her in daydreams from your senior's retirement home.....

I had a deskchair with a maximum weight capacity I was over....it is fine. And elevators have maximum of 2500kg or whatever. they can handle more....might grunt a little, but whatever.

I wouldnt worry....just dont enter a motogp race and expect the engine to thank you for it when youre wrapping up at the finish line. Make it work toooooo hard and it might bite you. just be sensible.

Thats my $0.02

Keep in mind I am a motonoob.

Don't forget, tires have a max weight rating, you don't wont to blow the back tire. Just a a referanc, you may have notice that going from a 1/2 ton truck to a 1 ton truck requires a much higher weight rated tire. That in mind must also be the same for a motorcycles I would say. Damaging the Bike is one thing, but your safty and your sons....

Good Luck!
Jerry

I would not worry about it unless you notice something wrong! Like someone says its your bike, you use it to do what you need it to do and thats that. I'd just adjust the suspension and make sure the tire pressure is okay and just eat up the miles ;)

Back