routine maintenance: WTF?

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've been paying attention to all the pre-ride checks that are suggested and making the needed adjustments as my skill allows. My chain tension is a recurring problem and I've corrected it other times but because I've only been riding a few summers, I don't have a lot of experience / knowledge built up yet. I always follow the manual and always check my work. So I went through the steps of tightening the slack and it "measured" up with the manual specs. However when I hopped on for a ride there was a noticeable clunking feeling I got through the foot pegs and I could also hear it even though I had my ear plugs in. Turned around and got home, got the bike on the center stand and rechecked the chain. It was loose as hell except for one "area" which retained the correct manual spec for tension. I can't begin to understand how the chain can be in spec in one area and flapping like crazy in another. I will say I had the bike for 3 summers and it had 30K on it when I bought it...is the chain shot?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like its worn out. If you have over 30,000 miles on the original chain, you got your moneys worth..

The varying, extreme tightness and looseness is also a sign of being worn out as well.

The clunking thru the foot pegs is also a classic sign of the chain binding up.
You can remove the front chain cover, rotate the rear wheel slowly and watch to see if the chain
does NOT straighten immediately.

You adjusting at the tightest point with the TOTAL up and down movement at about 2"?

As bad as that chain sounds, you may want to replace it asap, you don't want it letting loose and
going thru the engine....

Last edited:

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like its worn out. If you have over 30,000 miles on the original chain, you got your moneys worth..

The varying, extreme tightness and looseness is also a sign of being worn out as well.

The clunking thru the foot pegs is also a classic sign of the chain binding up.
You can remove the front chain cover, rotate the rear wheel slowly and watch to see if the chain
does NOT straighten immediately.

"You adjusting at the tightest point with the TOTAL up and down movement at about 2"?

As bad as that chain sounds, you may want to replace it asap, you don't want it letting loose and
going thru the engine....

In the one area, the movement up and down is a tight 2 inches and that is the same measurement I made my adjustments. The rest of the chain has significantly more play. I got off the bike immediately and caged my way to work.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Check your front sprocket, it'll probably be hooked. Mine always wears out first, which makes sense.

Once you've changed the chain and sprocket sets (all together) keep an eye on that front sprocket. You can run two, or maybe three front sprockets through each chain and rear sprocket for better spread of wear, and smoother running.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatbis your maintenance interval and how often does it get completely cleaned and lubed?

For day to day dry use the product I use will go 400 miles. At 500 miles the external rollers are bare but there is lube within them.

So, 500mi is my max. What is yours?
Also, close to 26,000 and I've adjusted it twice as its very stable.

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
I try and keep an eye on things but I don't have exact intervals for maintenance. I ride mostly for commuting sake and put on two hundred miles a week (riding roughly two days a week as weather permits) Every week I lube everything I can, check torque levels on breaks...etc. I probably don't clean as often as I should however. I have had to adjust the chain tension several times in the last 6 weeks - Its really helpful to hear your practice and maintenance intervals, I'll need to be more methodical in the future, Thanks!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the record I use B trip to track chain maintenance.
And I am guilty too. It goes like this;
Clean and lube = run 400 - 500 miles.
Lube 3 to 5X for max of 2500 before cleaning and start over. Rides I know will run it dry and it gets lube before leaving. I apply a petroleum protuct with a syringe.

The fact that you had to begin adjusting after being stable says the chain condition changed.

Start shopping for a replacement set w sprockets!