Running out of gas

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So today on my ride home I was traveling along a State road when I noticed a a rider on the the shoulder. I had just turned on to the road and saw him but could not get to the side of the road soon enough so I doubled back to see what was going on. I pulled up next to him with my flashers on and noticed he was on a FJR (blue one, of course) and asked him if was ok. He said he was but needed some fuel. He was in the process of calling some friends to bring some gas and said there wasn't anything I could do for him so I left. The nearest gas station was only a mile down the road, but he did not look like he wanted to leave his bike unattended, loaded with nav, etc.
I had wished I had some fuel in my backpack, but I was thinking that I have a siphon pump at home that works great, but it is not practical to carry with me so I was wondering if anyone has come across a small siphon that I could keep with my gear. That way I could just siphon off enough fuel from my tank to somebody in need and I really have lost my taste for petroleum products.;)

Skybow388

Reaction score
Visit site
So today on my ride home I was traveling along a State road when I noticed a a rider on the the shoulder. I had just turned on to the road and saw him but could not get to the side of the road soon enough so I doubled back to see what was going on. I pulled up next to him with my flashers on and noticed he was on a FJR (blue one, of course) and asked him if was ok. He said he was but needed some fuel. He was in the process of calling some friends to bring some gas and said there wasn't anything I could do for him so I left. The nearest gas station was only a mile down the road, but he did not look like he wanted to leave his bike unattended, loaded with nav, etc.
I had wished I had some fuel in my backpack, but I was thinking that I have a siphon pump at home that works great, but it is not practical to carry with me so I was wondering if anyone has come across a small siphon that I could keep with my gear. That way I could just siphon off enough fuel from my tank to somebody in need and I really have lost my taste for petroleum products.;)

Hey man I works at lowes and we carry these Arnold pumps they work well. Only 13$ and is about 5-6 inches long
3eza9yzy.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have gone to the gas station, explained the story of a stranded motorcyclist and asked to borrow a can. Stuck a gallon of fuel in for the guy job done.
Nice that you stopped though Kudos to you.

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 to you, kudo's for stopping and trying to help!! :thumbup:

Bet he pays closer attention to that flashing fuel light on his dash next time...
With 6.6 gallons available, an average of 43 MPG, there was no reason to run out, oh well...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i will stop for someone that looks a bit distressed
stopped one night for a guy on a funny looking little bike his chain had come off. he had someone coming to give him a hand but he was so impressed that someone( me) cut thru traffic. chucked a youey thru peak hour and stopped to check on him

he was on his 'ells' and was a bit at a loss even tho help was on its way
i was only doing what someone had done for my son wgen he had an issue .... what comes around,goes around
do unto others.......
kudos to you .... its kinda nice to show others that you can have time and care about ' the total stranger'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now it would appear to work beautifully thx TT and Dennis

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Nothing like paying it forward!

A simple hose will work, but like you said, the taste of gas is not appealing. The small pump would work fine.

My "I've run out of gas story" is a buddy of mine and I were coming home from a track day and we saw a guy on a cruiser pulling to the side of the road on the Interstate just ahead of us. We pulled in behind him just as he came to a stop. I jumped out of the passenger side of our truck and walked up to him. He was out of gas. I pointed to the gas tank and my buddy jumps out of the truck, grabs a 5 gallon gas can with a little gas in it from the back of the truck, runs up and puts some in the tank. Total stop time was under 3 minutes and the guy was on his way! The guy was a cop on his way home from a day of training and was trying to make the next exit. If only all of us could be as lucky as he was that day!!!

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Nothing like paying it forward!

The guy was a cop on his way home from a day of training and was trying to make the next exit. If only all of us could be as lucky as he was that day!!!

That's awesome! I am sure it would be nice to run into him next time you need a favor in that neck of the woods... :thumbup:

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Just go to the gas station, buy a bottle of water, dump it out and fill it with fuel. Or, carry a 3 foot section of tube and create a siphon into something from your tank if you don't mind sucking some gas.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just go to the gas station, buy a bottle of water, dump it out and fill it with fuel. Or, carry a 3 foot section of tube and create a siphon into something from your tank if you don't mind sucking some gas.

im sure if you dont leave it in there for any amount of time, it will be fine.. but i wouldnt do it with a clear plastic.. cloudy plastic usually will last a bit longer ..:thumbup: