S2 Front Wheel "Free Spin" video

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've posted several times about the S2's front brake seals, over time, dragging.
(S1's not so much as they have half as many pistons)

This (IME) is due to rubber hardening up, grit, grime, seals don't allow the FOUR pistons (each disc) to retract.

The below video was taken today, with approx. 12,400 miles on the rebuilt calipers from 8-30-12.

I'll note the bike is pleasure only, rarely see's rain. As part of regular maintenance, I use an air compressor to routinely blow out old brake dust.

**Note, I initially spun the tire and stopped with the front brake to show the pads were NOT pushed back in, etc. They are
in their current, natural position.

I've also posted an easy way to check them it to go for ride, maybe 50 MPH and stop with the REAR BRAKE ONLY.
The front DISCs should be cool to the touch. If their hot, your brakes need attention..

Enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/40215609850/in/dateposted/

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can the rear stick as well? How many turns should expect from the rear? Thanks

IME, (9 years of ownership) and from reading on this forum, it's very rare the rear brake has an issue. You have one piston (NOT 8) and one set of large O-rings sealing it up. With the rear drive chain, trying to measure "Free spin" would be very difficult.

However, it can be checked simply again, go for a ride, say 50 MPH for a bit, stop with the FRONT BRAKES ONLY. The rear disc should also be cool to the touch. Anything dragging excessively WILL heat up that rotor..

WastedWrath

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This seems to be exactly what my bike is suffering from, I've had it for 2/3 months and only recently realised that the front wheel doesn't free spin. You can hear it rubbing and seems to be worse in corners (sounds worse at one part of the rotation of the wheel) so I had assumed it was a warped disc.

I'm a newbie at DIY is there any advice/videos on fixing this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This seems to be exactly what my bike is suffering from, I've had it for 2/3 months and only recently realised that the front wheel doesn't free spin. You can hear it rubbing and seems to be worse in corners (sounds worse at one part of the rotation of the wheel) so I had assumed it was a warped disc.

I'm a newbie at DIY is there any advice/videos on fixing this?

You can remove the calipers, clean up the pads, pistons, (lots of brake cleaner) which won't hurt but the real fix is to replace all the front seals. It's not terribly difficult (not expensive, about $100.00 US for parts). Bleeding took me longer than the seal replacement.

The procedure is in the shop manual but it does require basic hand tools, an air compressor is a BIG HELP(not mandatory).

I've had mine apart once and just cleaned them, two months later, I was back in there NOW replacing seals. Been that way since 2012.

If your mechanically inclined, understand how disc brakes work you can do the cleaning and seal replacement. You might need someone to bleed them for you at worst...

The older FJR's and R6's have similar calipers, a search for those will give you an idea....

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Ohh man.. sounds like I might have to do this. Seems a bit difficult for me to tackle. I tried to free spin the wheel and only got 3 revs max... tomorrow I will try to see if the rotor heats up without using the front break test...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Three full rotations are fine...

When your less than 1 - .5 time to start tinkering.

If you have an air compressor, simply blowing the brake dust out (everything still installed) DOES help...
Brake dust is very corrosive as well.

I forgot to mention in the first post, Yamaha recommends replacing these seals EVERY TWO YEARS.
IME, 4-5 years is a more realistic #..

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, ok.. just drove into work, 30 miles, 35 minutes, did not use the front brake at all and it was stone called when I checked. From the title search when I bought the bike two years ago with 300 miles, it seems it was bought new in 2013 as a left over... the bike now has about 6k miles on it, by next spring it will have around 10k so she will be do for some work. I think I will have the dealer do it...

Thank you