Salt Lake City May 30/31

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
Checking out the Superbikes - I'll be with a bunch of Ducati riders, so probably going to feel a little lonely on my wee Fazer! Any tips for riding in Salt Lake?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
So many good rides. None of the long ones will be open yet, there's still plenty of snow on the higher passes.
What are you looking to ride?
Big Cottonwood canyon is a great ride that's super close. Good turns and smooth pavement.
Alpine Loop has tons of road to explore, but the best part of it is still closed off. It should actually open June 1.
We might be able to get the SLC people together.....

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
Details still tbd. Approximately how long would the Cottonwood Canyon ride be?
I'll pm with more info when our plans are better defined. Thanks! :)
Also, I'm still on the seemingly impossible search for a non-on-line store that has the Dainese pants I want. Thought I might try in SLC. Are there any dealers there that carry a decent selection of Dainese?

phantomxc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm I'm thinking of going to this event, but this lone wolf has no one to go with. Well no bike riders that is...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Big Cottonwood is about 30 miles total point-and-back. Not too long at all, and it's about 10 minutes from downtown. There's also Emmigration, which is practically downtown and about 45 minutes point-and-back.

Phantom, I might go. You should post about it in the SLC thread, maybe we can get some of us together.

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
We got our info last night, and it looks like we'll have Saturday afternoon free. We'll be at Superbikes in "Ducati Island" all day on Sunday. I'd love to hook up with some of you to ride, if you're free Saturday afternoon! The Cottonwood sounds good - not too long (after about 750 miles on the road, I doubt I'll be in for another big ride!) - but fun. Please let me know :)

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I won't be here this weekend. I have a floating trip I just can't pass up.
Looks like it'll be a ton of fun though.

Here are direction from MMP It will take you to Brighton Ski Resort via Big Cottonwood. Very fun ride, smooth road with great turns.

If you want another slightly longer ride, try Emigration Canyon to East Canyon.
Emmigration Canyon... For some reason Gmaps can't figure out what to do after that. Just keep on that road (65) until you get to East Canyon Resrvoir. It's a great place to relax and take in the mountain scenery.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Change of plans. Looks like I'll be around this weekend, but no time to see SBK.
Let me know if you guys want to take a ride, I would definitely be in.

PM me for my # if you need it.
Otherwise, let's set a time/place to meet. The mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon has a parking lot. Make sure it's Big, not Little Cottonwood Canyon, they are right next to each other. Little does not have state maintainance, so the roads are in much better shape up Big. Though Little is also fun, and a worthwhile ride (about 5 minutes from Big and 30 min point and back).

Last edited:

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, we didn't have any extra time at all...we grossly underestimated how much time it would take to get to SLC from Yellowstone on Saturday, and also didn't build in the time it took for me to get lost alone in SLC (found out there is no access to exit 306 going Southbound! - and I couldn't follow the last second turn that the guy I was with decided to do onto 305). Would have been great to hook up with you, but maybe another time!

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty cool! The Paddock was a bit of a disappointment, but we had great seats in the grandstand. It's incredible how fast the riders went. I was pleased to see a Yamaha winning over the Ducati ;). Saw a few crashes too. I'd love to go to track school at Miller Park - quite a place! We were sorry we weren't able to spend more time in the whole SLC area as a whole.