Sat Nav v's Speedo

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok we or most of us would have seen some input on the "how fast is you FZ6" thread. You will also have seen a number of posts that mention speedo error. I was using my sat nav today to take my son to a football match. I thought I would check if my nav had an difference to my speedo.

Nav FZ6
18mph 20mph
26mph 29mph (For the life of me, I can't get my bike just to sit at 30mph)
36mph 40mph
56mph 60mph
66mph 71mph
76mph 84mph

I had eight satelites tracking me the whole time so it was a reasonable signal. There were a few seconds lag whilst my nav caught up or slowed down. My speedo was also slightly obscured by the nav as I was using the wind screen sucker. So I conclude yes the speedo is way out? or is it. The literature that came with my nav specifically specifies that it is not calibrated to be used as a speed measuring device. So how accurate is a civillian nav? I was always under the impression that there was quite a window of accuracy due to potential military applications. Maybe some of the military guys can answer this.
In one of the posts it has been mentioned that you can get a speedo corrector. What are they and how do they work?

Cheers
Neil

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
why doesn't yamaha make this correction at the factory?
it seems like the speedo (based on neil's observations) is about 5mph off. does anyone know why?

rgatling

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are the speedos off? I don't know, but it is common on all modern bikes. Check any forum for any make/model and you'll read the same thing.

I have not used one on previous bikes, but have friends that have. It works as promised. If I change my sprockets, I'll buy one to adjust the speedo and odo.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think its because the speedo is run off of the engine and not the wheel? I don't fully understand it either.

jeff in ohio

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle Consumer New tested the 2007 and reported a 4mph error at 65mph (going by memory here). The problem with your GPS is that it is calculating your rate of travel based on FLAT travel - not up and down hills. So with a non-flat terrain, you will have speed error with your GPS....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle Consumer New tested the 2007 and reported a 4mph error at 65mph (going by memory here). The problem with your GPS is that it is calculating your rate of travel based on FLAT travel - not up and down hills. So with a non-flat terrain, you will have speed error with your GPS....
Happy new year Jeff,

How flat is flat though? I did these speeds on a dual carraige way that was fairly straight and flat. I'm not getting getting at you, I do beleive that the speedo can't be that out? So it makes sense that GPS aren't as accurate as we think.