school 1957 ---- 2007 sad but true

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane pain t bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.
2007 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL it is so sad that all of them are true....one thing though,in the first scenario , the jack from 1957 had a kid who lived in 2007 as a student ,went to his school and killed himself after murdering 32 students for nothing...what is happening to the kids?? i wonder if that kind of stuff was happening in 1957....(i was born in 77)

sad,really sad.....good observation and summary from mikebike

:(:(:(

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eye-opening... and yet, the highest number of students ever killed at one time happened around the turn of the century, was it 1903? The murderer used dynamite.
As long as humans are involved, these things will happen... :(

H

HavBlue

LOL it is so sad that all of them are true....one thing though,in the first scenario , the jack from 1957 had a kid who lived in 2007 as a student ,went to his school and killed himself after murdering 32 students for nothing...what is happening to the kids?? i wonder if that kind of stuff was happening in 1957....(i was born in 77)

sad,really sad.....good observation and summary from mikebike

:(:(:(

In 1957 there were roughly 3 billion people on planet earth. In 2007 that figure had gone beyond 6 billion. The State of California has roughly 38 million on its own. Based on the number of people and our own relaxed moralities it would seem the normal tactic in terms of public safety. Here, you will still see signs on business doors that say no guns beyond this point. In contrast, California law has a misdemeanor for carrying a concealed weapon yet carrying a double edge knife is a felony. Go figure.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is soooo true. I feel that a little discipline (and fear) develop character. Fights in school are normal, as are stupid judgment calls. This is a time in life when you think you know everything, and soon realize that you don't.

I was born in 1978, and in high school, one day i was feeling sick(allergies)so on lunch (open campus) I went to the drug store and bought a antihistamine. This was the time crystal meth was just starting to make headlines. I guess I forgot they were in my pocket and accidentally pulled the box out in class. Nevertheless, my teacher flipped out and called the liaison officer to class. I had to fill out many forms and beg and plead to the principal that I was only relieving allergy symptoms, not some other evil thing with the little red pills. Luckily I had a sneezing fit and they saw that I just made a bad judgment call.

Things change, and its not always in a linear fashion. Newer does not always mean better, and lets learn from the people around us, and respect elders, as they have witnessed stuff we read about in text books.

There, second rant for the day, feel even better. Come on spring!

H

HavBlue

This is soooo true. I feel that a little discipline (and fear) develop character. Fights in school are normal, as are stupid judgment calls. This is a time in life when you think you know everything, and soon realize that you don't.

I was born in 1978, and in high school, one day i was feeling sick(allergies)so on lunch (open campus) I went to the drug store and bought a antihistamine. This was the time crystal meth was just starting to make headlines. I guess I forgot they were in my pocket and accidentally pulled the box out in class. Nevertheless, my teacher flipped out and called the liaison officer to class. I had to fill out many forms and beg and plead to the principal that I was only relieving allergy symptoms, not some other evil thing with the little red pills. Luckily I had a sneezing fit and they saw that I just made a bad judgment call.

Things change, and its not always in a linear fashion. Newer does not always mean better, and lets learn from the people around us, and respect elders, as they have witnessed stuff we read about in text books.

There, second rant for the day, feel even better. Come on spring!

Good story and quite true. My grandson has a special use permit to keep his inhaler with him while in class or at P.E as opposed to being in the nurses office..