Scorpion Exhaust Question

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Hiya guys, my birthday is in a few days and I'm looking at treating myself to a scorpion exhaust, problem is I can't find English threads just Russian threads about what I want to know.

Basically there is two types of the Scorpion, oval and round. I have found two pictures of how I wouldn't like it and how I'd love it to look.

Picture one, without the racks is how I'd love it to be. I assume this may be the round version, what I want to find out is if he made any changes to it as all I've seen is oval ones installed like on the bike with the racks, as I much prefer the look of the exhausts the other way as it seems more balanced to my eye.

Can anyone help me out?

Scorpion Factory Round Silencer | Demon Tweeks

This is the one I'd get, it's £40 cheaper than the oval but the pictures are both the same so it's no help! :(

EDIT: I have a set of Rounds now! Here's a video! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQUlYHrDQE

Last edited:

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
Hey buddy, there are no differences in the cans other than the shape, either round or oval as you've said. The main differences in the Scorpion systems are between years, 2004-2007 and 2007 on; just make sure you get the right one for your year, otherwise fitment will take take quite a bit of messing.

I have the oval ones, and you can rotate them vertically instead of having them horizontally as pictured.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hiya guys, my birthday is in a few days and I'm looking at treating myself to a scorpion exhaust, problem is I can't find English threads just Russian threads about what I want to know.

Basically there is two types of the Scorpion, oval and round. I have found two pictures of how I wouldn't like it and how I'd love it to look.

Picture one, without the racks is how I'd love it to be. I assume this may be the round version, what I want to find out is if he made any changes to it as all I've seen is oval ones installed like on the bike with the racks, as I much prefer the look of the exhausts the other way as it seems more balanced to my eye.

Can anyone help me out?

Scorpion Factory Round Silencer | Demon Tweeks

This is the one I'd get, it's £40 cheaper than the oval but the pictures are both the same so it's no help! :(
Hey that's my bike in the second pic! :) Pretty sure those are oval pipes in both by the way. The first pic they are just mounted 90 degrees to how I mounted mine.

I chose the oval. They were a bit more expensive and looked a bit better IMO. But everyone has different preferences. Pics and video with and without the rack on my site in my sig below. I only used the rack a few times. Be careful you don't over-torque the clamps, they're not the strongest.

Last edited:

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, yeah that's what I was worrying about, are there any pictures of the Scorpion round, anywhere?

If it can fit vertically then I will definitely go for the oval as then I have the option. I'm just worried about clearance as I've not seen many people have it that way. I like both ways but prefer the vertical one.

And yes Sanger, I love your site, it's awesome, plenty of ideas for me to go at!

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
The first pic they are just mounted 90 degrees to how I mounted mine.

On my 2006, I tried to mount my Scorpion ovals in the "tall way" as on the first picture, with the angles exhaust facing down, and I could not get them to fit above the bracket (even with the Scorpion supplied bracket). It just wouldn't fit.

Has anyone else had luck or lack of in mounting that direction?

RTW

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Sanger, I didnt see this one, I like the look of it!

I know this is a long shot but do you reckon I could fit the cans and pipe or whatever comes with it inside a 2 helmet back box and a backpack? (Cans in back box and pipe in bag). It's my birthday on Sunday and everyone is too busy to help me and I'm impatient lol!

I assume the pipe would stick out of my bag a tad but I wouldn't mind that, the shop is only 30~ miles away from me!

Just watching all of the videos of its tone and what everyone is saying about it just makes me grin at the thought of it!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Sanger, I didnt see this one, I like the look of it!

I know this is a long shot but do you reckon I could fit the cans and pipe or whatever comes with it inside a 2 helmet back box and a backpack? (Cans in back box and pipe in bag). It's my birthday on Sunday and everyone is too busy to help me and I'm impatient lol!

I assume the pipe would stick out of my bag a tad but I wouldn't mind that, the shop is only 30~ miles away from me!

Just watching all of the videos of its tone and what everyone is saying about it just makes me grin at the thought of it!
Go for it. They're pretty small. You can always do a couple of trips if you really have to! :)

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Go for it. They're pretty small. You can always do a couple of trips if you really have to! :)

Well I rang Demon Tweeks this morning and they said that Scorpion was closed now for christmas... After going on Scorpions site, I saw there was a Scorpion place about 50 miles from me, (DT was about 40) so I gave them a rang regardless of what DT said.

Turns out they were still working and such, I rang at 11am, they literally made me one to order, it was ready at 4pm.. Went and collected it, it fitted fine with space spare! The link pipe stuck out a TAD though from my backpack but was fine..

Got home, fitted them and such but as I was fitting them, I noticed there was only one exhaust hanger :( so I'm stuck to short journeys now as I've done a temp fix for it. Sent them an email just hopefully they can get one to me before Christmas!

Otherwise, I'll just go out tomorrow to DK (another place 2-3miles from me) and hope they have one!

They sound freaking AMAZING. Much louder than the stock exhaust with the baffles in, sounds very, very good and not a 'cheap' sounding loud. Had a very small ride with a HUGE smile all the way... Doubt I'll take the baffle out, though... Well I mean....I'll try it for sure but I have a feeling the police wouldn't be too happy :D:D

Only problem I have other than that, is fitting the metal bits that curve around the stock exhaust and allow you to fit a Givi top box rack... Hoping I can mod it tomorrow so that it fits, it wasn't too far off but if I forced it, it would've scratched it pretty bad, I can deal without it for a few days!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my 2006, I tried to mount my Scorpion ovals in the "tall way" as on the first picture, with the angles exhaust facing down, and I could not get them to fit above the bracket (even with the Scorpion supplied bracket). It just wouldn't fit.

RTW

I tried years ago mounting them (ovals) upward and NO way would they fit....

In any case, try them with the DB killers out. Their not bad at lower RPM's, above 8k or so, they friggin scream and you'll swear your on a go fast, litre bike.

Note, I did try it with the DB killers in, it was way too quiet. They didn't make it to the end of the driveway and got yanked..

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Guess I'll try it tomorrow without them in, scared of taking them out as on my last bike I accidentally dropped the baffle into the can and had to redline to get it out lol.

The bike seems quite loud to me with them in, done a few vids to compare so hopefully I'll have them up when I do one of the baffles out.

I guess coming from stock cans anything will sound loud right now, the sweet spot I've noticed so far is 3k, low grumble sounds so mean... Havent gone above 9k rpm as I'm scared of them falling off lol!!

Gotta say though, I do feel as if I'm a real biker now, since I have a bike that sounds like how I believe a bike should sound!! Happy all round! Pictures and video will be on tomorrow /Christmas day :)

EDIT: I had an amazing thing happen today, was filtering down the side of traffic, everyone moved to the side to give me more room... That gas NEVER happened for me before, it felt so good to finally have some road presence!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll still have the growl and will be noticed even more...

It does indeed transform the bike IMO. :thumbup:

You can always put them back in if too loud for you... BTW, they fit very tight and they won't fall in. Actually, putting them back in, you have to go slow to get the bolt to line up.

Note; Tip for re-installing the DB killers;

Stuffing a paper towel in the pipe(DB killer) BEFORE THE BOLT is attempted to be installed is highly recommended. Should you drop the bolt, it has no where to go and easily retrieved..

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to install the other exhaust hanger that came via TNT today and take the baffles out, fun times!!!

Thanks alot for the tip, can imagine that'd be real annoying! Will get back to you soon when I've done it!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess I should have posted to put the paper towel down the DB killer BEFORE REMOVING the bolt.

Same thing, should it come loose from your hand, it won't fall down into the abiss(sp?)..

Have fun!!!:thumbup:

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy ****! Went out for a ride last night, it's SO loud with the baffles out, sounded phenomenal, though I feel it lost some of its tone and it was replaced by loudness, but it still sounded awesome. Gonna keep them out for a week or so just to see how it goes. No other sound though like taking it up to 8k+.

Did notice a bit of backfiring though when I let off the gas after acceleration. Suppose that's kinda normal, don't have a power commander though so can't really fix it. I do plan on getting the bike dyno'd and my suspension set up after Christmas though so that should be good! Will do a video later on and try to get it edited together for tonight!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy ****! Went out for a ride last night, it's SO loud with the baffles out, sounded phenomenal, though I feel it lost some of its tone and it was replaced by loudness, but it still sounded awesome. Gonna keep them out for a week or so just to see how it goes. No other sound though like taking it up to 8k+.

Did notice a bit of backfiring though when I let off the gas after acceleration. Suppose that's kinda normal, don't have a power commander though so can't really fix it. I do plan on getting the bike dyno'd and my suspension set up after Christmas though so that should be good! Will do a video later on and try to get it edited together for tonight!

Do you have an aftermarket air filter?

Generally, with the addition and more air flow with an after market air filter, its NOT un-common to get some slight decel, backfiring.

I have the stock, OEM filter in mine (stone stock short of iridiums) and I have
absolutly NO backfiring at all, at any RPM decel... I have NOT made any CO changes either(all factory levels).

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, not as I'm aware of anyway, only happens with baffles out but it's too loud for me with them out so I'll be putting them back in since I don't want to wear plugs. Not sure about the plugs, never changed them myself, probably due a change but I've heard its an annoying one to do.

Not sure if the 06 has CO changes, I know it didn't need to reset the ecu by the battery so not sure...

As for video, it's snowed ALOT here so the unbaffled video will have to wait!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about the plugs, never changed them myself, probably due a change but I've heard its an annoying one to do.

The plugs aren't that bad to change out, just work from the RIGHT side. Others have loosened up(not removed/drained the radiator) for a little more room.

I swapped my plugs out without touching the radiator (S2 model), maybe 35 minutes going slow with the proper tools...

If you go with iridiums, make sure you check / adjust if necessary.

NGK Spark Plugs USA

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
I might have a look at them, it's usually the first thing I do when I buy a bike, but since it was so expensive and from a dealer, I didn't think to check it (plus I was poor!)

Anyhow, here is the video... Better than most I've seen dotted around YouTube.

Bike is a tad dirty thanks to English weather, 1 ride after I clean it, its back to terribly dirty again... Now we are in the minus degrees and snow+ice so I'm off the road for a week or so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQUlYHrDQE

As for the baffles, I assume theyre quite a bit different. Here are the Round's baffles.

ifOyEND.jpg

xqOJdgI.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A little bit deeper W/O the baffles at idle. (great video/AUDIO, BTW).

I don't remember if my baffles were angled as such(been 4-5 years). They didn't come with the pipes, I had to order them separatly.

As note earlier, I didn't have any mileage to speak of on them and sold them.