Seriously Considering FZ

Chieg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Recently learned of this model. Currently own a GSXR 600 and love it. Sure would be nice to have a street friendly version like the FZ tho. Something to carry a passenger and attach side packs and a GIVI trunk. Have many of you done that ? Is the hard ware and luggage readily available ?

The bike I'm looking at is a 2008 bought new in 2009, original owner. 8,000 miles. Appears to be in good shape. It's been for sale 5 months for $3800, I'm at $3200, he's at $3500, so I know I can make it happen.

Aside from that the only weak point I know of is the soft non adjustable front forks, but a cheap easy fix that involves cutting the springs, putting a spacer in, and slightly over filling the oil.

Any comments, experience, etc ? It seems like a bike with a lot of potential you just gotta wring the 600 I-4 to wake it up. I kind of like that about the bike. Can ride around normally without having to hold back and still go a little crazy occasionally. I'm also checking the bigger FZs. Is there much difference besides the engine size ?

Thanks a Ton for any help !!!!

Joe

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ is a great standard platform. Unfortunately it has been out of production for over a decade so aftermarket support is minimal. The bike you are looking at sounds like a good find, get it closer to your price than his. Your fork solution sounds dreadful, let me know if you get the bike and I’ll talk you through a solid solution.

Chieg

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ is a great standard platform. Unfortunately it has been out of production for over a decade so aftermarket support is minimal. The bike you are looking at sounds like a good find, get it closer to your price than his. Your fork solution sounds dreadful, let me know if you get the bike and I’ll talk you through a solid solution.
Thanks Much Appreciated. !!!!

I vaguely remember reading about someone on one of the forums having a good fix. Maybe they meant you ‍♂️

Thanks Again.

Joe

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the mileage and shape, the price sounds very reasonable..

With that said, I've owned many, many bikes over the years.
I bought my '07 wrecked(laid down), as a "beater".

Repaired the damage, some light mod's (Scorpion exhaust, etc)
and fell in love with it.... Sold my FJR, Goldwing, KLR250 at the same time
and ONLY have the FZ....

Change the oil, keep the chain lubed (and adjusted) and lube the clutch cable.
It's pretty easy on tires being mid sized. Tame under 6-8K RPM's, but will wind up
after that..

By far my fav bike....

Chieg

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on the fence right now. Partially due to good old fashioned laziness. I messaged him today to move forward. Next Saturday is a possibility for me, hopefully him as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience, no substitute for real feedback from real riders !!!!! I think I'll probably fall for it myself if I get it....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, Open Scorpions help "make" the bike, dramatically.

With stock mufflers, way too quiet and sounds like a sewing machine.
Winding it up, quietly, frankly, dimishes the feeling.

Keep that in mind when riding it,

Post back how it goes...

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Recently learned of this model. Currently own a GSXR 600 and love it. Sure would be nice to have a street friendly version like the FZ tho. Something to carry a passenger and attach side packs and a GIVI trunk. Have many of you done that ? Is the hard ware and luggage readily available ?

Joe
I have an '05 and it functions exactly like that for me. I've done some light-touring with it (east-coast to Canada, Tale of the Dragon, etc), I do indeed have Givi side-bags and topbox/monokey (bike came with topbox, I bought bags on CL). I don't love the bracket on there for when I'm not touring, but I think the newer/S2 has a better design for that? You might need to do something about the windscreen if you do much touring - some (taller) have issues with wind buffeting. Having said that, I love the FZ as an all-rounder. If you carry a passenger regularly, you might also consider a better/adjustable rear shock (or just do what @Gary in NJ tells you to do) - I left the front alone (minus heavier-weight oil), and have a Wilbers rear shock on. Good Luck!