sheared bleed nipple...

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so in trying to swap these out with speed bleeders while doing a line install, i managed to sheer the new speed bleeder nipple off right above where the ball is and pretty much even with the caliper itself.. picture bellow. there is nothing to grab onto with a wrench, and i already tried to take a flat head screw driver and whack it with a hammer.. relatively hard i might add... :(

but i wonder if it really would be worth going to harbor freight and getting a broken screw extractor kit, and trying to get it out and put the original back in... the piece that is in there now had a lot of that anti-seize or whatever stuff they put on the threaded end. so among all those reasons plus the hammering, i wonder if it is worth it or not really. i have another one in transit, but hey if i could save this one... :thumbup:

470f2977.jpg

I'd say it's worth it, especially from harbor freight seeing how their prices are very cheep. Most of their hand tools, or pretty much anything that is made of metal is a great value!!! Now there electric tools and pneumatic tools, well that's another story...

Try a left handed drill bit and a easy out should work fine. Just don't drill to deep and ruin the caliper.

so in trying to swap these out with speed bleeders while doing a line install, i managed to sheer the new speed bleeder nipple off right above where the ball is and pretty much even with the caliper itself.. picture bellow. there is nothing to grab onto with a wrench, and i already tried to take a flat head screw driver and whack it with a hammer.. relatively hard i might add... :(

but i wonder if it really would be worth going to harbor freight and getting a broken screw extractor kit, and trying to get it out and put the original back in... the piece that is in there now had a lot of that anti-seize or whatever stuff they put on the threaded end. so among all those reasons plus the hammering, i wonder if it is worth it or not really. i have another one in transit, but hey if i could save this one... :thumbup:

470f2977.jpg

Be very carefull with the drill bit. I did this on a Corvette caliper and went to deep...ended up buying a new caliper.

ship it to me, ill fix it:thumbup:

when i get my new one.. if your down for doing it.. ill ship it to you with a return stamp too!!..heck this weekend ill buy a new oem bleed nipple if you can throw it on there as well!!! much appreciated!! can you take a 6 pack in payment??? :thumbup:

Actually I went to harbor freight today and bought the screw extractor kit and another torque wrench.. Details later!!!

Try some gentle heat to the caliper area around the nipple, even pouring boiling water slowly onto the caliper may help as the caliper metal should expand quicker than the steel nipple, or even a gentle warm up from a blowlamp type device.

I don't think I would put any heat on the caliper, too much rubber inside of there.

A can of some sort of compressed air like key board cleaner turned upside down spraying directly on the broken piece would have somewhat of the same effect, just not expansion but contraction which does not create as much movement, but can't damage the caliper or internals.

Try MIG weld a hex. bolt onto the nipple and use this bolt to take it out.

i do not have access nor would i know where to begin on that.. i tried the bolt extractor but it was a no go.. im sure if the ball wasn't directly in the middle of the nipple, i could have gotten it to extract. its fine.. new caliper is on its way.. :thumbup:

i do not have access nor would i know where to begin on that.. i tried the bolt extractor but it was a no go.. im sure if the ball wasn't directly in the middle of the nipple, i could have gotten it to extract. its fine.. new caliper is on its way.. :thumbup:

I may be way late on this but here is my idea. If you drill into the nipple it should let the ball pop out, then you could use an easy out. But be very careful drilling that you don't go into the caliper itself.

Marc

yea... about that.. tried it and it didn't work.. guess the ball is wedged in there good due to the hammering... but the drill bit did chew the side of the caliper pretty good... nothing major, but i'm just going to stick to my new caliper idea anyways.. $50 and it'll be here next week sometime.. just in time for this motocamp trip i am planning now...

Sorry for you loss. . . . sheared nipple... I'm sure it was painful! :spank:

I know it's too late now; were you tightening it when it snapped (CW) or removing it CCW)? Unlike bolts bleeders bottom into the caliper and standard extraction methods don't apply as in a conventional bolt pulled apart "and popping its head off" usually come out easy if the threads aren't dorked up. Bleeders on the other hand still have a load on them.
So who made this part just so you can warn others??

Back