Shield against water spray under the seat

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, I think we're on two different pages,

Those pic's are of the radiator protector, NOT the above muffler tape/gaurd. Pic is shot shooting up, from the floor. The ruler pic is should someone want to copy the fan / radiator gaurd (for reference). (Just a FYI)

Under the rear "fender" has a nice coating of road road debris
as does the inside of the mufflers (any part not really showing).
I don't wash the underneath of the mufflers (unless I rode thru a mud hole, etc)

Just to be clear, the aluminum foil/ tape is ABOVE THE MUFFLER. It's not covering the muffler, just keeping road crap
from getting up there and specifically trying to keep the seat release mechanism clean.

If you have the stock muffler still on the bike, its likely NOT even an issue as the stock muffler will block road crap from getting up there...

4-29-14,

Some pic's:

You can easily see the seat latch mechanism protected from any road debris. And yes, the underneath of the mufflers are filthy, unless its muddy, it just gets hosed when bathed...

Double click to enlarge the picture.

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
4-29-14,

Some pic's:

You can easily see the seat latch mechanism protected from any road debris. And yes, the underneath of the mufflers are filthy, unless its muddy, it just gets hosed when bathed...

Double click to enlarge the pic..

ahhh ok.. maybe the exhuast is the difference. I have the stock exhaust so nothing gets up between that. My seat latch appears new and "unsoiled" haha

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ahhh ok.. maybe the exhuast is the difference. I have the stock exhaust so nothing gets up between that. My seat latch appears new and "unsoiled" haha

Yepper, the exhaust makes all the difference in the world.. As you can see, the latch is exposed to water and crap flying up there.

My latch is clean also, however, the bike is a bit lighter in the rear, the pillion a little cooler on the seat, and it doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore...;)

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, the exhaust makes all the difference in the world.. As you can see, the latch is exposed to water and crap flying up there.

My latch is clean also, however, the bike is a bit lighter in the rear, the pillion a little cooler on the seat, and it doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore...;)

Hahahahaha, true! If I wasn't such a recent grad I'd be putting new exhaust/seat/windscreen/full GPS etc etc etc on as well, but.. gotta save for a house so I can have a garage to do all of those fun things! Until now, she remains stock.. maybe by the time I'm comfortable financially it'll be time for an FZ1 anyways!:thumbup:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
So I received my Kydex plastic sheets today and did my very own tail shield. This is how it turned out:

Before
View attachment 53075
After
View attachment 53076
View attachment 53077

Simple, light, cheap and tough.

I got a 12" X 24" X 1/16" (.060") Kydex sheet. Kydex is a thermoplastic, resistant to ignition and scratch. This plastic is tough and a thinner sheet would have been tough enough for this.

View attachment 53073
Cutting it out.
View attachment 53074

With one sheet, I even had some left over to do this :rof:
View attachment 53080
Just pull it out and you get a fender extender :rof:
View attachment 53081
As least my passenger won't be soaked next time we get caught in the rain.
View attachment 53079

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I received my Kydex plastic sheets today and did my very own tail shield. This is how it turned out:

Before
View attachment 53075
After
View attachment 53076
View attachment 53077

Simple, light, cheap and tough.

I got a 12" X 24" X 1/16" (.060") Kydex sheet. Kydex is a thermoplastic, resistant to ignition and scratch. This plastic is tough and a thinner sheet would have been tough enough for this.

View attachment 53073
Cutting it out.
View attachment 53074

With one sheet, I even had some left over to do this :rof:
View attachment 53080
Just pull it out and you get a fender extender :rof:
View attachment 53081
As least my passenger won't be soaked next time we get caught in the rain.
View attachment 53079

so you took off your stock plastic fender and replaced it with a plastic fender? Makes sense lol