Shift Lever Detached While Riding! Need help on what bolt to buy.

cvalliere

FZ6er
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
So on my way home I realized something was seriously wrong with my shifter. I looked down to see the thing just dangling and saw that somehow the main bolt was completely gone. I guess there is always the possibility that it could've just wiggled loose.

Now I need help in getting the right size bolt/washers to put it back on while waiting for OEM as its my primary source of transportation.

Anyone know what size bolt #17 is on the diagram? Or something that would get me going.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a shoulder screw and harder to come up with a fix. I would order from Yamaha now! Use at least blue loctite on the threads.

cvalliere

FZ6er
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
ah man..anyone know the size of it? i was hoping i could get a temp one from O'reilly's or something. I guess I'll just have to see which one fits

here's the actual part

118817502_amazoncom-yamaha-4bp-27434-11-00-bolt-4bp274341100-made-.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ah man..anyone know the size of it? i was hoping i could get a temp one from O'reilly's or something. I guess I'll just have to see which one fits

here's the actual part

118817502_amazoncom-yamaha-4bp-27434-11-00-bolt-4bp274341100-made-.jpg

Don't forget to order the associated washer that go with that! Yup O'reilly's for the quick fix:D

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
ACE. They have an odd assortment of METRIC nuts and bolts. Saved me more than a couple times, now they're my first choice. Also, the employees are really helpful.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Ace's selection depends on the store, they're individually owned franchises. Never seen one with a worse selection of metric than a Home Depot or Lowe's though.

I'd grab a metric bolt, and try to find a metal or nylon spacer to make up for the shoulder for the time being, odds of finding a metric shoulder bolt in stock are about nil. It'll work OK until you get the right part.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget to order the associated washer that go with that! Yup O'reilly's for the quick fix:D

WASHERS, there's three on the parts fisch.

To find something with that shoulder and the much smaller threads (short of new) will be tough.

You may want to get the correct sized threaded bolt, then go to "copper/steel, sleeve" section and see if you can find something to slide over the bolt and take up the play in the shifter. You may have to grind / cut it down for the correct depth.

Or, bite the bullet and overnight or 3 day ship the new part's.

The total for ALL THE PARTS, less than $9.00, $1.75 shipping USPS first class which is usually about 3-4 days:

http://www.partzilla.com/index.php?p=cart

These folks ship pretty quick, great prices too...

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
When this happened to me it was bolt #32 that was the culprit. Luckily the rubber boot held it from flying off the bike. I reinstalled it was red loctite and hope it doesn't happen again. I often check tightness of bolt 17 as well.