Shudder when decel below 3,000 RPM

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies.
It happens in 3rd, 2nd or 1st gears.
I know what a motor feels like, when it is getting close to stalling, but this just seems like too high of an RPM for that to happen.
( I would certainly expect it to be jerky below 1500 RPM or there-abouts )
The Sea Foam or fuel injector cleaner sounds like a good idea. I also did not know there were diagnostics on-board. (have not read the manual yet)

Thanks

1500 rpm is basically idol, dude... This engine just isn't going to me very co-operative below 3000rpm... It is based on an R6 high performace engine... It needs to rev... You video confirms what I have said... Nothing seems out of the ordinary to me...

Last edited:

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Reading through this, when you were stating shutter, I was thinking of a jerking bike ready to stall shutter. I have an 06 and it does the same thing. Granted I have not cleaned out the system, I just thought that this was normal due to the high compression our bikes have, and with it designed to run efficiently at 8-11k RPM.

I am going to watch this now, I am not concerned that there is something wrong with my bike, but I would like to make sure that if it is the start of something bad I can catch it early.

Waffles

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the weather has warmed up and I have a video for you troubleshooters to watch.

This "shudder" is on decel only, no brakes etc. Goes away immediately when clutch is pulled in.

VID-20120329-00005.3GP - YouTube

Thanks

Is the chain very tight? Is the rear wheel straight? Sounds like a mechanical issue, especially when it disappears after pulling in the clutch.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The engine / gear box sounds fine to me, there some whine (it sounds like the chain might need some cleaning / lube).

I don't hear any shudder and as mentioned previously. In a higher gear, pulling in the clutch at 2-3,000 RPM's is normal..

I wouldn't let it idle down to even 1,500 RPM's in 2nd or 3 gear. Your pretty much on the edge of bucking the engine, (not good), as there's not a lot of torque for the slow speed and higher gear..

On your tach, it doesn't display in the very low RPM's to the degree of the 07 and up as it pretty much stops (usable) at 2,000 RPM's.

Short of cleaning/lubing the chain, I believe your good to go and just pull the clutch in a little sooner, not a big deal...

As stated above, the bike likes to rev...

Last edited:

FZ648

Reaction score
Visit site
Appreciating everyones responses.
Sounds like I may have a normal bike. Oil is clean and topped up, chain is good.
It may not be evident in the video, but the bike does actually shake when it is making this sound as well.

Here is another similar vid, but the one on the previous page is better. VID 20120329 00006 - YouTube

Chain tension is within spec and wheel is straight.

Last edited:

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, its still a little shaky, but still doesn't show enough that would concern me. Of course it is a video and I am not sitting on the bike, but I really do think you have no major issues.

When you rode dirt, what YZ did you have. I have a YZ400F that does the same thing, but it is not quite so noticeable due to the fact that I dont have smooth pavement to ride on with it, but I am sure that if you decelerated it to roughly 800 RPM (my guess to equivilent RPM to the FZ6) (also no tach on the YZ) that you would also have this stuttering due to the bike getting close to stalling.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Appreciating everyones responses.
Sounds like I may have a normal bike. Oil is clean and topped up, chain is good.
It may not be evident in the video, but the bike does actually shake when it is making this sound as well.

Here is another similar vid, but the one on the previous page is better. VID 20120329 00006 - YouTube

Chain tension is within spec and wheel is straight.

If it shakes, check the steering head bearings for tightness... How is the front tire condition?

FZ648

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a 2-stroke YZ250 back about 10 years now.

Steering is all good. It definately comes from the drivetrain. Maybe it's just me not being used to this bike. I would love to try another FZ6 in Calgary, so I can compare.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks!

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a 2-stroke YZ250 back about 10 years now.

Steering is all good. It definately comes from the drivetrain. Maybe it's just me not being used to this bike. I would love to try another FZ6 in Calgary, so I can compare.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks!

AHHHH

That is what it is.

You are basing your 4-stroke to your 2-stroke. Your compression ratio is A LOT different now. Most 250 2-strokes are around a 6 to 1 compression ration, where now you more than double that compression at 12.1 to 1.

This means that you are gonna have more resistance in the engine, thus you are noticing the engine starting to stall where your 2 stroke would not for a lot lower rpm.

Honest mistake, but you were comparing an orange to an apple.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the weather has warmed up and I have a video for you troubleshooters to watch.

This "shudder" is on decel only, no brakes etc. Goes away immediately when clutch is pulled in.

VID-20120329-00005.3GP - YouTube

Thanks

I will have a go at replicating this when I next get out for a ride (hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting!), I would guess that it's normal, 3000 rpm is very low for engines like the one fitted to the FZ6, being a detuned R6 engine it is much happier in the mid to high rpm ranges :D.

Yamahaboyz

cotroler

Reaction score
Visit site
hey,

I have the EXACT same problem, however this problem occurred when I changed to iridium plugs & k&n air filter. before i could cruise with 2000k rpm, so something is wrong!

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
hey,

I have the EXACT same problem, however this problem occurred when I changed to iridium plugs & k&n air filter. before i could cruise with 2000k rpm, so something is wrong!

adjust your chain slack, and don't trying coasting so slow. the engine is fighting the slap of the chain that is changing from above to below the swingarm as the countershaft sprocket snaps about.

in other words: more throttle

cotroler

Reaction score
Visit site
hi,

thanks for the reply. The chain is properly adjusted. Please note something seems to have gone wrong when I changed the plugs and/or air filter. I had to remove the airbox to do so. Could I have done something wrong in the process? I double checked and everything seems in place.. perhaps I missed something? Even when revving the engine on Neutral, the engine sound a bit different and something seems to be wrong.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
I will have a go at replicating this when I next get out for a ride (hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting!), I would guess that it's normal, 3000 rpm is very low for engines like the one fitted to the FZ6, being a detuned R6 engine it is much happier in the mid to high rpm ranges :D.

Yamahaboyz

Sorry it took me a while to get back, been way too busy lately :confused:

I had a go replicating this and found that my bike does indeed shudder under deceleration at very low revs (hard to say exactly where). As in my previous post, I believe this is normal, 3000 revs is very low, and is well away from the ranges in which the FZ6 produces most of its Power and Torque.

Yamahaboyz