agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
reminds me of the phrases:
If you have time to attempt it twice, you had time to do it right the first time
-:and:-
work smarter, not harder

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
So we know that in order to go faster you may have to physically slow down your speed so that you can master the technique first, but how do visual skills play a roll here? Sometimes the fastest laps are the ones that FEEL the slowest. Why is that?

Misti

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Because you're comfortable and you have found your groove.

+1 on this. Every time you're in the zone, groove, whatever... time changes. You get that sublime detachment from yourself where you are completing a task perfectly because it's what you do. The "quality" just flows.

Sorry - rereading Zen in the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and rereading Atlas Shrugged at the same time. I always get a weird, melancholy motivation when I combine these books. :D

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you know if you are riding at the edge though? Sometimes I have students that are riding all crazy and bent out of shape and on the verge of crashing but when I pull them over to warn them they have no idea that they are riding on the edge. :eek:

More fatigue, wrong line, over braking to compensate for excessive speed mid corner. Just not being smooth.
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you know if you are riding at the edge though? Sometimes I have students that are riding all crazy and bent out of shape and on the verge of crashing but when I pull them over to warn them they have no idea that they are riding on the edge. :eek:

That's a very good question. Thanks to gods, ancestors, karma (pick your believe) I'm getting warning signs early. Here is some things I observe on a track:
- braking too late and too hard
- choosing wrong gears
- forgetting to match revs causing rear to spin
- dragging a kickstand :)
- tires start skidding in midturn

There are probably other things I can't name - I just get a feeling bike goes "out of control" and I better slowdown and watch myself.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the slower i ride the more enjoyable. when i try to corner a bit faster even 5 km/h, i can still hit the apex and come out on line but im not as comfortable with how far thru the cnr i can see
tonight a car came out of a drive just around a corner, i was just cruising at "comfy" speed - it was a joy to just swing around their rear, minimal breaking and then flip back the other way and then gun it up the straight road if id pushed and taken it hard ida t- boned them.
felt good and i felt in control even when the driver was worried at this bike aimed straight at the drivers door

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site

I never have much luck with telling people they are riding like morons. I have a very hands-off leadership approach, however. I mention to my guys that they are riding dangerously, give them examples, provide them real-world examples of what happens, and then leave them to learn.

No amount of harping will make someone truly understand something. They can either take your word for it or they will learn the hard way - which they will remember for a long time. I've only had to kick a kid in the chest once to get a point across and he didn't really learn even then, only resent my teaching method. He knew I was serious though and didn't act stupid when he thought I was around. :spank:

I'm not a big fan of our modern society and the socially acceptable levels of getting physical with someone. What used to be a friendly, educational beating has been turned into assault....:rolleyes:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that wall to wall counseling manual. I've employed the jap-slap and the boot to the head before but I REALLY want to try the dimensional lumber technique. I think that would get the need for ATGATT concept in their heads. 2x4 to the face! Where's your HELMET!?

Last edited:

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
That's a very good question. Thanks to gods, ancestors, karma (pick your believe) I'm getting warning signs early. Here is some things I observe on a track:
- braking too late and too hard
- choosing wrong gears
- forgetting to match revs causing rear to spin
- dragging a kickstand :)
- tires start skidding in midturn

There are probably other things I can't name - I just get a feeling bike goes "out of control" and I better slowdown and watch myself.

Good points, anytime you are feeling a bit out of control it's time to take it down a notch. I just had that exact experience while riding motocross. I was trying to ride faster and feeling like I was getting better but then I hit the whoops a little wrong and got all bent out of shape. I tried to keep the same pace but made a few more mistakes before I decided to pull over, regroup and slow it down a bit. It's hard when you get excited about riding faster than you ever have before but it's important if you want to improve and stay safe!

I never have much luck with telling people they are riding like morons. I have a very hands-off leadership approach, however. I mention to my guys that they are riding dangerously, give them examples, provide them real-world examples of what happens, and then leave them to learn.

No amount of harping will make someone truly understand something. They can either take your word for it or they will learn the hard way - which they will remember for a long time. I've only had to kick a kid in the chest once to get a point across and he didn't really learn even then, only resent my teaching method. He knew I was serious though and didn't act stupid when he thought I was around. :spank:

I'm not a big fan of our modern society and the socially acceptable levels of getting physical with someone. What used to be a friendly, educational beating has been turned into assault....:rolleyes:

I agree that no amount of harping will help someone but there are approaches that do work. I pull over students OFTEN and tell them that they are riding dangerously close to the edge and that I don't want to see them crash. After that I give them practical solutions to solve their problems. It's no use telling someone they are riding like a moron without explaining exactly why. It may be that they are leaning and adding throttle at the same time, turning in way too early and running wide, turning too slowly etc. As long as you are able to articulate WHY they are riding like a moron, right ;)

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno. I guess I don't have this problem, personally. I never ride where I feel "close to the edge". I'm cautious by nature and only push limits that I know I can handle (work and play).

I don't really understand the risk-taking mentality. Looking at my career choice, this seems odd I suppose. I need to reflect on this some more.