So many dead links

Devourly

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I recently bought a 2007 FZ6 and I'm really loving the bike. I was glad to find a forum devoted to this model as they come in handy so often.

But I'm curious about the state of many of the posts here. A lot of the write ups and guides are over a decade old and are full of dead links and pictures. It seems that there are a few posts here that many people refer to as a 'go-to' for information on a specific task or modification. But so many of those posts are filled with dead end links. Maybe I'm missing something? Has this board been largely left in the past, as in there is a new forum? I would have thought there would have been some updating of these guides at the least if the forum is still widely used. If this is still the main forum, then it seems I'll be blindly attempting some things on my own after all. I was hoping for the opportunity to learn from others having done certain things before me, but it doesn't seem likely with a majority of the posts being dead.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum.
There was a big overhaul years ago and I believe a lot of data was lost. I don't know if it's recoverable. The good thing is there are many enthusiasts and members with some pretty decent experience and knowledge that are will to help.

Veloce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found that you can often get old broken internal links to work by changing the URL scheme. For example, you might find this link in a post:

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33285-50-000-miles-club.html, which if you click is broken. However, change the URL to this:

https://www.600riders.com/threads/50-000-miles-club.33285 and it works.

Notice what changed—I changed /forum to /threads, removed the /fz6-general-discussion directory, and rearranged the last section so that the first number that appears (in this case 33285) replaces the .html at the end.

Here's another example:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/44482-poor-mpg-things-not-always-they-appear.html

Change it to: http://www.600riders.com/threads/poor-mpg-things-not-always-they-appear.44482

My guess is that when the forum was updated, the directory structure was changed but the old links were never remapped. Maybe a sysadmin with a database background could get in there and fix em, I dunno. But in the meantime, this is how I've been dealing with the dead links on the forum.

Last edited:

Veloce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found that you can often get old broken internal links to work by changing the URL scheme.

Something I should add is that unfortunately, this method cannot fix the broken photos. It’s likely that those are gone, and I presume unrecoverable.

But not all hope is lost. I highly recommend picking up a copy of both the Yamaha FZ6 Service Manual (electronic copies are available online, or do what I did and grab a printed copy on eBay for ~$10), and the Haynes Service Manual. Between those two, you’ll have most if not all of the resources you’d need to do most repairs. Why get both? The Yamaha manual is awesome for referencing torque specs and has lots of illustrations, and the Haynes manual is full of photos and more practical info on specific repairs. I think it’s worth it to have both in hand.

Another great resource is the Calvin MC channel on YouTube. He’s got an ‘07 FZ6 and has filmed a bunch of helpful videos on maintaining and repairing these bikes. As of today, he’s still making FZ6 tutorials.

Devourly

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll definitely have a look at the materials listed here. Even with some missing links, there's still a ton of useful info here. I'm glad to be part of the forum for sure! I got my bike really late in the season, so its just about time to start winter storage preps. But I'm already looking forward to next season!