So, who hunts?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
And what?

It's chuck season in NY right now and my normal chuck guns cheap scope just crapped the bed so I've been using the .308 hehehe....

So, share away ;)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Chuck season ?? As in Woodchucks ?? As in Groundhogs ?? As in Punxsutawney Phil ?? :eek: :eek: :eek:..............

You can't hunt him !!! Who will predict the weather at which I laugh every year ?? :D :D :D

Bill Murray on the other hand, for making such a dreadful movie.................. There is you hunting season :BLAA: :BLAA: :BLAA:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to LOVE hunting wild boars :rockon: :rockon: Till the Greenies & Martin Bryant put stop to all the Aussie shooting fun :( :(

Now you need permission from land owners with HUGE properties to go hunting here :spank: :spank: :spank:

My shooting days are now sadly limited to a range.....

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to LOVE hunting wild boars :rockon: :rockon: Till the Greenies & Martin Bryant put stop to all the Aussie shooting fun :( :(

Now you need permission from land owners with HUGE properties to go hunting here :spank: :spank: :spank:

My shooting days are now sadly limited to a range.....

Sad to hear that :( if your ever in the states your welcome to come over to my place hunt til your hearts content :)

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
My family has around 600 acres and ill do a little hunting wild hogs mostly because there is no season but we also have deer and turkey. I usually use an AR15 I built chambered in 6.8 SPC but if I feel the need for a little more punch I will load soft points in the mosin or bring out the Rimington model 70 .300WM. As for a scope I have a barska on one of the ARs and had no problems whatsoever on the other I have a Redfield which is owned by leopold just less expensive that is perfect.

Humperdinkel come on over to Texas, you can hunt all you want

Last edited:

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the Nikon Prostaff right now. Not to speak for there scopes. But, I just got some Oculus binos and I am really impressed with the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad to hear that :( if your ever in the states your welcome to come over to my place hunt til your hearts content :)

Humperdinkel come on over to Texas, you can hunt all you want

Y'all probably have heaps better toys to play with than me but would my trusty ruger .243 account for an American boar ??

Out here we get them up to an average of about 325lb but many have been bagged up to 450lb + :eek: :eek:

My best with a .243 is 376lb right behind the left ear , big bugger dropped & didn't even squeal after that ;) ;)

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Y'all probably have heaps better toys to play with than me but would my trusty ruger .243 account for an American boar ??

Out here we get them up to an average of about 325lb but many have been bagged up to 450lb + :eek: :eek:

My best with a .243 is 376lb right behind the left ear , big bugger dropped & didn't even squeal after that ;) ;)

Heh Texas is the way to go... Ny is no longer a free state... I'd be hunting with a .223 bushmaster but its considered evil now so I bought a Remington 700 SPS .308 and mounted a 3-9 Nikon pro staff on it.

Think the .243 is fine for any hogs lol, lots of guys use them for whitetail and some even elk! Me I have a .243 in a Rossi single shot, used for woodchucks normally but the cheap scope that came with it is blurred now :(

Took my best rifle shot ever this year with the new .308... Red squirrel at 178 yds via a 20 year old NATO surplus FMJ lol.

I'd love to hog hunt but they haven't gotten north enough yet :(

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Heh Texas is the way to go... Ny is no longer a free state... I'd be hunting with a .223 bushmaster but its considered evil now so I bought a Remington 700 SPS .308 and mounted a 3-9 Nikon pro staff on it.

Think the .243 is fine for any hogs lol, lots of guys use them for whitetail and some even elk! Me I have a .243 in a Rossi single shot, used for woodchucks normally but the cheap scope that came with it is blurred now :(

Took my best rifle shot ever this year with the new .308... Red squirrel at 178 yds via a 20 year old NATO surplus FMJ lol.

I know as a fellow New Yorker I have to add F*** Cuomo
And nice shot
As for me I won’t put anything but a Leopold on one of my guns

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
hogs are fun (and tasty) 243 will take any hog with a proper shot. I suppose I too am evil because I hunt with one of two ARs usually and always have one f im out and about on the four wheeler. red neck? Maybe...:BLAA:

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
raises hand :thumbup:

I spend about 25 days in the woods during spring turkey season, a couple mornings in the fall killing a mess of squirrels, and drag my bow in the woods for archery deer season.....and a day here and there during rifle season.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
We love hunting turkey & deer. Turkey is my favorite. I want to go hog hunting too. On Turkeys when you dress them about the only thing that is edible is the breast. W tried the legs. They are way too tough. We keep the spurs, beard, fan, and just cut through the skin on the breast making sure you keep the feathers rolled back in the skin and away from the meat (it can taint it). Then we use a fillet knife to cut out the breast meat. It's a lot faster with 2 people, but I have done it by myself. I love to marinade it and cook it in the rotisserie. Yum!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I do, mostly waterfowl and upland game birds. Unfortunately the season here in Finland is quite short :(

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What do you do with the squirrels?

Neil

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
308 for chucks? Holy crap! Good practice, though! I love my .22-250 for chucks (they're in season all the time btw, which is dumb since they disappear during the winter). Saw two along the side of Bay Rd in Webster going at it. It was hilarious!

Yes, I hunt. Chucks, squirrels, deer, crows. I want to get into turkey but just don't have the time right now. Did a boar hunt with my dad for his 60th birthday last year in Tioga, PA. It was a good time, mostly because my dad had never hunted anything bigger than a squirrel in over 30 years. It was a canned hunt (200 acre pen, basically), so it wasn't quite my bag of tea. My dad justified it pretty well by calling them free range pigs.

I need to find a place to shoot locally so I can mount my new scope on my .22-250. Oh, and I need to be able to find ammo to shoot in it. Damn panic buyers!

Last edited:

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
we have a ton of turkey, how do you clean them? pluck? skin? i would like a couple
but wouldnt know what to do with it once i shot it

you can pluck and clean and make it just like a store bought, but 90% of the good meat on the bird is the breast. Most just filet it off the breast bone, but I like to get some of the dark meat out too. Of course plucking is a chore, the easiest way is to flip the bird on its back and its breast bone will be sticking straight up, the highest point on him in that position. Just take your fingers and move the feathers out of the way and make a cut through the skin right there, then grab both sides of the slit skin and pull back to reveal the entire breast. It will easily just filet off the breast bone there. Then you can grab both legs and push them out away from the body and pull the skin back to reveal the thighs and legs and cut big chunks of dark meat off too. Once all the good meat is done, I'll try to clean up as much scrap meat as I can and give my old dog a good meal too :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eat 'em. You need to get a few to make it worth while, or just throw them in the freezer until you do.
How do you cook them? interested, used to be a chef and can honestly say I have cooked most things, not Squirrel though.

Neil