SoCal LED Law question

coconutcream3.14

Reaction score
Visit site
So the title pretty much states it all, i tried to do some research, and read the CA law itself but i feel like i may have over looked something. I was hoping someone in SoCal or knows of CA's Accent light laws could give me the break down so i don't get fix it tickets all night. T_T

I.e:
- Color restrictions
- Visibility restrictions (can they be directly visible or do they have to be hidden and only the glow can be visible).
- 'Breathe' function restrictions (i don't plan to use the strobe function as thats not my preference).

Thanks in advance for the help :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the friendliest forum! and Happy 3.14 day! :p

I think common sense will guide you on this one. Probably amber light washing the ground won't upset the LEO but Blue or Red lights where they don't belong will and have attracted attention.
LEO's have ticketed rider because they have a red or blue wind screen and say a rider could shine a light behind it to make like an emergency vehicle.
Basically use common sense. Remember that 1000 LEOs may not object but 1 may see it as an issue.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
In ny if your parked anythings ok, if your moving nothing is permitted ... Dam nanny state!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
In Jersey, they don't really bother you when riding with lights on bikes. I have driven next to and past cops and they don't say anything. Can always make the argument that you want to be more visible when riding at night. I know that probably won't hold up in court.

coconutcream3.14

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone, for now i will stick to turning them on while the bike is parked; avoid any hassle until i know more. Thanks again!

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the friendliest forum! and Happy 3.14 day! :p

I think common sense will guide you on this one. Probably amber light washing the ground won't upset the LEO but Blue or Red lights where they don't belong will and have attracted attention.
LEO's have ticketed rider because they have a red or blue wind screen and say a rider could shine a light behind it to make like an emergency vehicle.
Basically use common sense. Remember that 1000 LEOs may not object but 1 may see it as an issue.

Did someone say my name? :BLAA: I'm the proud owner of that emergency vehicle :D