Southern trip

markgm

Reaction score
Visit site
After 5 cross country trips on the FZ6, I have one more trip to take to hit 3 states until I'll have ridden in all of the lower 48. The killer is Oklahoma, I came close to it, but didn't cross the border. That makes this the trip a bit longer than it has to be (the other two states are Florida and South Carolina).

Here's the route I'm planning, probably 12 days or so: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/hRpBia. It seems easy for me to plan trips out west because there are so many national parks to choose from, along with the varied scenery. There aren't a lot of parks east of the Mississippi, though I've added 5 that I haven't spent any time at. Growing up in the East, everything looks pretty much the same no matter where I go! I was curious for suggestions on what to see.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap, you still have your FZ6? I remember I met you back in ~2007, I set up a group ride on SBN meeting up in Southington. I had a Ninja 500 at the time, but remember sitting on your FZ6 and liking it - ended up owning one from 2012-2018.

Anyways, your trip looks awesome, I’m no help as I haven’t spent much time down that way. Im jealous, have fun!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Some of those days are heavy miles. Give your self some extra time. Most of all have fun and take pictures!

markgm

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap, you still have your FZ6? I remember I met you back in ~2007, I set up a group ride on SBN meeting up in Southington. I had a Ninja 500 at the time, but remember sitting on your FZ6 and liking it - ended up owning one from 2012-2018.

Anyways, your trip looks awesome, I’m no help as I haven’t spent much time down that way. Im jealous, have fun!!

Awesome! This might actually be the last long trip on the bike. It still runs as well as it did when I first got it, but after more years than I can count, I'm contemplating getting a Tracer GT. Being 6'5", it would be nice to have something with a bit more room. But before I sell it, I want to ride it in all of the lower 48 states!

Last edited:

markgm

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Some of those days are heavy miles. Give your self some extra time. Most of all have fun and take pictures!

That's just the map, I haven't set the times yet. I still use an old version of Microsoft Streets and Trips to plan out the details, though that site isn't half bad.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I just went with the FJ-09 after having ridden the FZ6 for 40k miles. It is a taller bike and I like where the footpegs are as they are a bit lower and more comfortable. The Tracer GT is really a dressed up FJ-09. Great bike so far. Had it for 1 week

Sackmonkey

Reaction score
Visit site
After 5 cross country trips on the FZ6, I have one more trip to take to hit 3 states until I'll have ridden in all of the lower 48. The killer is Oklahoma, I came close to it, but didn't cross the border. That makes this the trip a bit longer than it has to be (the other two states are Florida and South Carolina).

Here's the route I'm planning, probably 12 days or so: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/hRpBia. It seems easy for me to plan trips out west because there are so many national parks to choose from, along with the varied scenery. There aren't a lot of parks east of the Mississippi, though I've added 5 that I haven't spent any time at. Growing up in the East, everything looks pretty much the same no matter where I go! I was curious for suggestions on what to see.

I recently re-read all five big trip posts you made. I'd just like to say Thanks for letting me live vicarously through your adventures. It was a great read (again!).

I'm looking forward to the next one!