Speed Triple shifter swap

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock shifter on the S3 is a little short for us folk with big feet! The short throw can cause mis-shifts and false neutrals. This is a common problem with a few other riders I've chatted with. I've also experienced this several times since purchasing the bike.

Turns out, Sunline makes a shifter for the Yamaha YZ80 that fits the S3. It eliminates the entire linkage on the S3 and makes the feeling much more solid. I installed it today and took a little ride. The difference is really something! A good solid "snick" every time. For $26, couldn't go wrong.

Here's a before and a couple of after pics...

I'll have to try the same cleaner. The black finish on the Triumphs is known to water-spot very quickly.

I'm surprised you had trouble with the shifter on your bike. Mine is seriously solid on the Street Triple R! Sometimes when I pre-load the shifter getting ready to shift, it just does it without me even rolling off the throttle!

I'll have to try the same cleaner. The black finish on the Triumphs is known to water-spot very quickly.

I'm surprised you had trouble with the shifter on your bike. Mine is seriously solid on the Street Triple R! Sometimes when I pre-load the shifter getting ready to shift, it just does it without me even rolling off the throttle!

I wouldn't say there's a problem with it....this one just fits better for my size 13 boot!

Looks awesome mate :thumbup: I wonder who it was that first thought of going to a little Yamaha dirt bike for the solution , wouldnt of been in my thought process EVER :D

Expensive stuff! Wish I could find it locally instead of ordering online.

Yeah, a little pricey. It also makes your rims shine! I decided to try it because Triumph recommended it for protecting the metal from corrosion.

Triumph - How to Clean your Bike

Cleaning of the Exhaust System

All parts of the exhaust system of your motorcycle must be cleaned regularly to avoid deterioration of its appearance. These instructions can be applied to chrome, brushed stainless steel and carbon fibre components alike.
NOTE – The exhaust system must be cool before washing to prevent water spotting.

Washing

Prepare a mixture of water and mild soap. Do not use a highly alkaline soap as commonly found at commercial car washes because it leaves a residue. Wash the exhaust system with a soft cloth. Do not use an abrasive scouring pad or steel wool. They will damage the finish. Rinse the exhaust system thoroughly. Ensure no soap or water enters the mufflers.

Drying

Dry the exhaust system as far as possible with a soft cloth. Do not run the engine to dry the system or spotting will occur.

Protecting

When the exhaust system is dry, rub ‘Motorex 645 Clean And Protect’ into the surface.

Caution
The use of silicone products such as WD40 will cause discolouration of the chrome and must not be used. Similarly, the use of abrasive cleaners such as Solvol Autosol will damage the system and must not be used.

It is recommended that regular protection be applied to the system as this will both protect and enhance the system’s appearance.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice piece of hardware! I'm also interested in the Motorex cleaner! :rockon: I Googled it and Cycle Gear also caries it.

Back