Speedometer inaccuracy

Eroc77

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 S1 and swapped to a 2007 S2 speedometer. Everything works fine but the MPH is way off. I checked it against my GPS. It says 70mph when I’m doing 40mph. I was thinking of using a speed healer. Any ideas?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sometimes electronics with bug out. switch it back to kph and ride it to see. The try switching it back to mph. I had to do that with gmaps on my wife's phone today be cause the app was hinky...

Eroc77

Reaction score
Visit site
I will. It’s funny you mention that. The Temp says C, I thought Coolant? Maybe it’s Celsius. ‍♂️

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, there is a clock on that unit that should be keeping time once set. If it doesn't, the steady 12 vdc to the instrument cluster for backup may not be present. If it isn't check the fuses because if that wire touched ground by accident at any time it would pop the backup fuse that holds memory on the cluster.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that fuse located in the box under the back panel?
I've had mine since new in 08 and it's remarkable how ignorant I remain due to the reliability of the bike. Good luck with the speedo.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that fuse located in the box under the back panel?
I've had mine since new in 08 and it's remarkable how ignorant I remain due to the reliability of the bike. Good luck with the speedo.
Yes. with the other fuses. The only fuse that I know of that isn't with that group of fuses, is the main 30 amp fuse on top of the battery cover next to the starter relay.
If your clock keeps time that backup fuse is good. :)

Eroc77

Reaction score
Visit site
I was hoping that. It says MPH. I will double check since it came from UK.
So it is in MPH. When I put my GPS in Kph it matches up with the MPH on my speedo. So weird. Then when I switch on the speedometer to Kph it is even faster. The only thing I can think of is I don’t have ABS and speedometer is from a bike with it I believe. I never ran power to the wire harness pin for the ABS. I really don’t think that would affect the speed though. So to re cap, when I’m in Mph on my bike it matches up to Kph on my GPS. Kph on my bike and it’s even faster. Probably the same ratio difference. It is consistent at least.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So it is in MPH. When I put my GPS in Kph it matches up with the MPH on my speedo. So weird. Then when I switch on the speedometer to Kph it is even faster. The only thing I can think of is I don’t have ABS and speedometer is from a bike with it I believe. I never ran power to the wire harness pin for the ABS. I really don’t think that would affect the speed though. So to re cap, when I’m in Mph on my bike it matches up to Kph on my GPS. Kph on my bike and it’s even faster. Probably the same ratio difference. It is consistent at least.
The ABS theory sounds like it might be the issue. Now I'm thinking a speedo healer might be the cure. Need to find out if a speedo healer has the ability to correct that much of a percentage difference.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've looked at an ABS schematic for multiple FZ6's but have no list for the speed sensor that is separate on the non-ABS FZ6. I see 2 wheel sensors on the ABS model schematic and I believe the ABS computer sends speed info to the ECU and the ECU then sends info on a data line to the instrument cluster CPU. This looks more and more like this is where the speedo has the problem.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Speed healer worked perfectly. Wish I knew why it was so far off though.
That's great news! Speed is calculated from different sources. In the case of the ABS equiped bike speed is calculated from the ABS wheel sensors to the ABS computer and then to the ECU. On the non ABS bike the speed sensor is directly off the drive train. Still, I agree, by the time it gets to the speedo data line, why the big difference? It could have been the same.