Split Rivet Link Cam Chain?

I found "split rivet link cam chain" on a British web site with no pic's... Is it a regular chain with a clip on the outside, like a replacement drive chain?

If I had to replace my cam chain, the only additional thing (besides the valve cover) you have to do to put an original chain back on is R&R the rt, ft cover. You can check the chain guides, etc while there...

I personally, would want it off just to check and make sure the crank and both cams are spot on the timing marks.....

Scott

Last edited:
The one I am looking at is made by DID. It has rivets that are installed with a special tool, if it was a normal split link like found on some drive chains I wouldn't even consider it.

Looking at this bike it is engine out, valve cover off, cams out, turn engine over, remove left and right covers, clutch out, split crankcase, crank out.... too much work!

The cam chain is on the right side of the engine, just under the pickup coil. You don't have to split cases to R&R it(its not in the center of the engine) nor remove the engine.Yes, the valve cover has to come off (probably one cam needs to be loosened up to get the chain over the sprockets)and the side cover but its not much harder than checking adjusting valves...

Did you try replacing the tensioner itself? They will with time, loose some spring tension and let the chain rattle/jump gears (very bad)... If you looked under the side cover and saw the tensioner all the way out and the chain still loose, I agree, its time for a new one... Hope this helps..

BTW, you can download a factory manual for your bike here and look up the procedure. Its (for an 2007, chapter 5-12)

Scott

Last edited:
How much life does a cam chain has in the fz? In many bikes at 50000km its time to start looking for a new one, in the fz when?

I suspect it would depend on how hard you run it, maintainance, etc. On my old KLR 250, I got 73,000 miles in the original chain before I sold it. Replaced the tensioner once. I usually never ran it above 7 k.......

Once it starts rattling and a new tensioner doesn't fix it and the guides are ok, its probably time for a new one....

Okay I see the confusion. I didn't say it was my FZ6 that needed a new cam chain, I was asking about the type of chain in general.

The bike in question has the chain running up the centre between #2 and #3.

I have no idea what the mileage is but the bike is 12 years old. The speedo says 11,000 odd km but it is obviously not right.

It appears to me that tool is used strictly for drive chains, not cam chains which are quite a bit smaller... Maybe I missed it....

I do agree thou, a replecement chain with a link instead of splitting cases would be preferred... I believe the old/ealry honda 750 4 has a center cam chain. You may check and see if there's a forum there and an answer..

Sorry didnt read the first post, i had a kawasaki zx6 that had a center cam chain and there is absolutely no problem to put a split rivet cam chain. I know that from my own bike and other people that had similar bikes. I never knew someone with a center chain that splited cases to fit a new cam chain. I also knew people that join the rivets with a hammer but thats another story and absolutely not recommended, the worst thing is those people were mechanics and charged for their work :eek:

The only important thing is that you put a good quality chain and make a good job making sure everything is as should be. Of course a safety recheck after lets say a thousand miles is important.

We had a CB500T which had the cam chain actually run through the rocker cover ! Rocker cover had a couple of small covers that allowed you to get to the cam chain to split and reconnect it.

I replaced the head gasket and promptly sold it, wasn't ever going through that rigmarole again :)

Back