Starting trouble

vhooda

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, before anyone tries to help me let me explain my background. Got my bike licence three yrs back and bought a new FZ6 S two yrs back. Only done 1000 miles on the bike and know absolutely nothing about bikes (can change my car tyre, anything more complicated needs a garage). So, will need detailed instructions for this problem.
Tried starting my bike this morning as I was washing my car and thought it would be a nice idea to let the engine tick over as I had not ridden for 5 months. The bike would not start although the starter was making some attempts but it seemed like the spark wasn’t there to ignite the fuel. The starter attempts could be classified as feeble than usual but you don’t notice the starter attempts usually as the bike would start pretty quickly. The parking light would go off during any such attempts. After about 15 such attempts, now the starter has stopped trying and any attempt to start makes the engine trouble warning light (Second from top) come on.

Now, Is my battery low or problem with the spark plug or problem with fuel delivery to engine? Its pretty cold here now and temp is close to freezing throughout the day. Could that make any diff??

OK when you tried to start the bike....at a guess you got a really weak "Click, click, clicking" sound, that clicked quite fast.

If that is the case then your battery is flat, and I am not suprised after standing for 5 months.

You need to charge the battery overnight. The battery is under the petrol tank.

Do you know how to get to it or is there a battery tender fitted to the bike?

Steve

Thanks for getting back Steve, what is a battery tender? Sorry for being dumb. And how do I get one.
Also how to access the battery itself.

Thanks

Hi again, Yes, I googled battery tender and now know what it is . Which one should I get and where from in the UK. Also still the access to battery issues.

This is the one I have got. I know it is pricey and you may be able to get a cheaper one from Halfords. BUT the important thing is that it comes with a lead that remains attached to the bike ALL the time. Look at the e-bay picture. The lead on the left of the picture fastens to the battery terminals. At the other end of that lead is a female connector. The main transformer body plugs into the mains socket and on the lead on the transformer has the male connector.

You must have that lead that stays on the bike otherwise the next time you want to charge the battery you have to life the seat again.

OPTIMATE 4 12V BATTERY CHARGER FOR CAR + MOTORBIKE on eBay, also Electrical Security, Accessories, Motorcycle Parts Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Jan-09 12:00:00 GMT)

Do you have a photo of your bike as there are different ways to get to the tank for different models/years.

Steve

Last edited:
I left my bike standing for 2 months while it's been cold/frosty/horrible outside and when I went to start it it wouldn't quite go. Luckily I got an optimate 3 off eBay and an overnight charge had it roaring into life. Now I just leave it on all the time trickle charging.

Definately go for one with the lead attached to the battery all the time. The optimate one has a weatherproof cap and mine is cable tied just in reach under the fuel tank where there is a gap to the outside world. Otherwise you have to lift the fuel tank every time (and remove all the fairings if you've a fared one like mine and put them all back on again the next day :banghead:).

We use a couple of Oxford Optimates, they too come with a lead that can be permanently fitted to the bike which makes life a lot easier.

If the bikes are parked up much more than a week then they get connected up. Most of the optimisers (as they are known in uk) give an indication of the battery health, and will charge a flat battery and keep a charged battery at it's optimum charge level.

You may find that your current battery is not going to perform very well (especially in cold weather) if the charge has fallen too much. Once you get your charger if it doesn't seem to have much getup and go then it will be time for a new battery.

I had the same problem, so i bought a trickle charger and a new battery as a back up. For the trickle charger they give you a plug that leads to the battery. Then you plug the plug into the wall and done.

I had the same problem, so i bought a trickle charger and a new battery as a back up. For the trickle charger they give you a plug that leads to the battery. Then you plug the plug into the wall and done.

This is a belts and braces idea if you can afford it just after christmas.

I will take some pics of mine later today and post them.

Steve

Having looked at my charger I see it is called the ACCUMATE compact and this is where the lead is kept on my bike. It has a waterproof cap to keep the rain out and it works like a charm every time I use it. Which is not often during the riding season.

When I do connect it up I usually leave it overnight.

You can see the transformer which plugs into the wall and the connection which is attached to the lead.

Just join the two connections together and plug the transformer into the wall.

I have found that if your battery goes flat and you still get the clicking when you try to start that you can easily bump your bike to start in second gear. Roll it down a hill or get someone to push you. I even did this on a forest track when I left my lights on whilst taking a break.

Steve

To get at the battery is simple to do a bit harder to explain. There is more than one way ...apparently. But I do it this way and takes about ten minutes and is easy.

Follow the pics.......

First flip up the rubber boots at the bottom of the mirrors. There may be little plastic pegs in the holes so take them out as well.

On the fairing there are 2 largish fastenings on both sides. Take them out on both sides with an allen key.

On either side of the speedo there are 2 smaller fastenings also take them out with an allen key.

The little inside fairings are now loose. You have to manouvre them out taking care not to scratch anything.

At the front end of the tank there are 2 large fastenings take them out with an allen key.

Remove your seat BUT do not leave the key in the seat lock.

Under the bike you will some rubber tubes sticking out near the centre stand put a container or some rags under them because when you lift the tank a little bit of petrol may come out.

You will need something to keep the tank up with. Some guys use bungees but I use a length of wood.

Lift the tank and prop it open BUT be careful when lifting the tank. It lifts up a long way but make sure you are not pulling the fuel lines out.

Putting it back together is the reverse but make sure you do not trap the fuel lines under the tank or against the frame.

Sorry I did not take pics of the full process but it is cold here and I have no need to get to the tank at the moment.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve, I seem to have the same bike as you with the fairings but managed to get the tank up by just removing the front two bolts and one from the back underneath the seat. I can see the battery right in front of me there and I am planning to keep it proped up with some wood. Due you need to remove any other bolts fairing etc. as you have explained??
I also looked at the optimate 4, it says charger in the ebay add, is it the same as tender but called charger in UK? Looks big, can it fit underneath the tank and where and how do you secure it. Do you have any pics of it fitted.
I am getting std. charger now from a friend and see if if battery is still salvagable and in the meantime order a tender/optimiser as you guys advise. The e bay add doesnt even call it a optimiser but you think I should get optimate 4.
Thanks

Last edited:
Read my links again. Mine is not called the OPtimate.

The big box tranformer thing does not go on the bike, it plugs into the wall. Only a small lead is left on the bike...look at my first set of pics.

I am pretty sure your battery will be ok.

Steve

My bike wouldn't start on me today out of nowhere. I was at the bank drive through and had the lights off while waiting for my deposit receipt... when I went to start it it tried to turn over but slowly, etc. etc. I found this odd since I had been riding it for quite awhile before stopping and have never had any problems in the past. Good thing I was near a hill because I was able to bump start it.

But I have a Deltran trickle charger already... will that work to charge my batter? Because the owners manual says that chargers without a constant flow can damage this kind of battery.

Back